Inside-out countersink bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello. Is there something like an inside-out countersink bit, for deburring or chamfering the end of a rod?
It's difficult to do it neatly with a file, or by twirling the rod on a belt sander.
Thank-you,
Graham

A wooden rod presumably. Holding the rod in a protractor set at 45 degrees in a disc sander gives reasonable results. Otherwise chuck it in a drill press if it is short enough and hold some sandpaper to it.

Hello. Is there something like an inside-out countersink bit, for deburring or chamfering the end of a rod?
It's difficult to do it neatly with a file, or by twirling the rod on a belt sander.
Thank-you,
Graham
😉

1666804176633.png

You are nearly there with your question. The magic words for Google are 'external deburring tool' or 'external chamfering tool'. Sealey DB-04 is one example, Laser 7510 another.

@ Inspector - yes, one of those looks like it would work, but maybe not with steel.
I'm not sure about the peculiar "hand-cranking" arrangement, though, lol. Something wrong with an electric drill??

@ Inspector - yes, one of those looks like it would work, but maybe not with steel.
I'm not sure about the peculiar "hand-cranking" arrangement, though, lol. Something wrong with an electric drill??
The hand cranking works like a charm and only take a minute or two to master. Millions of them are in use in metal and plastic shops all over the world. I have the countersink types for deburring holes and they are neat. Not cheap though. ChaiLatte has the goods on the drill powered ones. They work in steel too as long as it isn't hardened.

Pete

The hand cranking works like a charm and only take a minute or two to master. Millions of them are in use in metal and plastic shops all over the world. I have the countersink types for deburring holes and they are neat. Not cheap though. ChaiLatte has the goods on the drill powered ones. They work in steel too as long as it isn't hardened.

Pete
Ok fair enough. For deburring, yes, but I can't see eg the countersinking one getting very deep?

You are nearly there with your question. The magic words for Google are 'external deburring tool' or 'external chamfering tool'. Sealey DB-04 is one example, Laser 7510 another.
I took that advice and used it on ebay. There's something there that looks like what I want for £5+.
I'll let you know how it goes.

(Btw, I've had my cheap c'sinking bit for years, decades even, and it's still good, even after occasional severe use in steel. I suppose I was looking for a reverse version of that. Not exactly complicated!)

Thanks to all.

Ok fair enough. For deburring, yes, but I can't see eg the countersinking one getting very deep?
They are designed for deburring not making full countersinks 🙄 and they fit in a shirt pocket so will go in any place you can get a hand into. I'll let this go as you have your leads and will find what you need.

Pete

"External Chamfer Drill Bit" - I'm old enough to remember that there used to be one available for a hand brace

It may have been intended tongue in cheek but it was my first thought. I do keep a double hole sharpener handy for preparing jointing dowels.
I do believe Veritas make a what can only be described as a "Very big pencil sharpener" for making dowels.

Latest posts

Back