Inca Bandsaw - Help please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sargo70

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum but have read a fair amount recently.. I've recently managed to buy an old Inca bandsaw (not sure what model but have attached photos. It runs but the switch is faulty...I was wondering if anyone can advise me on what to replace the switch with....I took the box apart and it has approx 10 wired connections...not my field of expertise! I know there is something for sale on the Inca spares site but there is no photo. There seem to be heaps of "Start / Stop No Volt Release Switch" on ebay but all only have 4-6 wire spades.

Many thanks in advance, Roger

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    125.3 KB
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    209.3 KB
Yours is an older one with no nvr switch
Your switch acts as a switch for the capacitor to start it the right way If i recall that's why there's so many connections

With a good picture and diagram of where wires go i can help but that switch isn't easy

Ian

Many thanks for your reply...will post some pics in a few minutes of the inside of the switch and also there was a circuit diagram tucked into the inside - it's in french so may not be heaps of help.

If you now any workaround I'd be hugely grateful.

The switch is so simple that you should be able to see if anything is wrong with it.

The switch itself is unlikely to be bad, it's much more probable that the capacitor is dead. Though it looks as if there's a thermal cutoff device as well that needs inspection too.

I would find a wiring diagram that allowed you to dump all that and fit an NVR switch. Much safer to use.

I thought electrical equipment was not allowed to be sold untill it had been bought up to current specs, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.
Agree with the above.. if the switch isnt showing signs of melting then check the capacitor firss

Hi there...The switch still works to some degree - ie it makes the motor wok but the mechanism is broken so that when you turn it it never stays in the "on" position...You can hold it and the saw runs nicely, but the mechanism is overly complicated for an easy repair so what I was hoping was that I could replace the switch somehow.....doesn't need to look nice

sargo70":3usxo7q7 said:
Hi there...The switch still works to some degree - ie it makes the motor wok but the mechanism is broken so that when you turn it it never stays in the "on" position...You can hold it and the saw runs nicely, but the mechanism is overly complicated for an easy repair so what I was hoping was that I could replace the switch somehow.....doesn't need to look nice
Are you sure that the thermal cutoff isn't at fault? That would have the same effect.

You should be able to see if the actual switch mechanism is worn down.

Have you a meter to test continuity?
you need to test "sonde" which looks like a thermal cutout which if its open circuit will stop the switch holding on
if it is open circuit then join together the wires a and b and see if that holds the switch on

Ian

I don't have a meter, no..and to be honest, I wouldn't know what I was doing even if I did, my experience with the electrical pretty much stops at wiring a plug. Is this something I should just take to an electrician or is there another solution that I might be able to do myself?

Back