Identifying thread size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent_zed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been given a wood lathe with no brand name, which is great as it's a bit bigger than my current one. But I seem to attract lathes with odd size headstock threads, as my original one has a M30 thread.

I'm not sure what thread size this new one is though.

I've measure the shaft diameter and it is coming out at 24.9mm (M25?) and it seems to be around 2mm thread pitch. This chart https://www.teknatool.com/thread/ does list a IWNS adaptor that seems to match.
Is this likely from the pics of my headstock? don't want to buy the wrong adaptor.

thanks

1728987511201.jpeg

1728987556944.jpeg

Get a set of thread pitch gauges to be sure. Get a set with metric and imperial They're cheap enough.
Where was the lathe made, any idea?
And when?
I have an Indian made wood lathe from around 35 years back, that has Whitworth threads on it!

Last edited:
aha! after some googling of 20x2mm adaptors I stumbled across a few machine names and after looking at the pics of each, it turns out it is a 'Tyme' brand and I think it is the Avon looking at the pictures https://www.lathes.co.uk/tyme/ and is indeed M20x2mm thread.

Are you the same person who wrote the opening post in this thread?

If you are, you are contradicting what you wrote earlier.

That shows and states the major diameter of the thread as 25mm. This is backed up by the information on the lathes.co.uk page.

How will you stretch an M20 x 2 adaptor by 25% to fit a 25mm thread?

Are you the same person who wrote the opening post in this thread?

If you are, you are contradicting what you wrote earlier.

That shows and states the major diameter of the thread as 25mm. This is backed up by the information on the lathes.co.uk page.

How will you stretch an M20 x 2 adaptor by 25% to fit a 25mm thread?
Doh! I'm glad you can count, or at least read numbers as I clearly can't. Pretty sure I have Dyscalculia as I often mix numbers up, much to my other half's amusement.

Thankfully I haven't bought an adaptor yet so will be careful to get the correct one

From the lathe info page
'carried a nose threaded 2 mm x 25 mm' and the pics = definitely not M20.

Not sure how I managed to find the right lathe from the wrong info but either way.

Thanks for the heads up

Latest posts

Back