How would you describe yourself in woodworking terms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you describe yourself in woodworking terms

• Hobbiest

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Joiner

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Professional Woodworker

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Carpenter

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Cabinet Maker

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Furniture Maker

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Furniture designer maker

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Butcher with wood

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
"How would you describe yourself in woodworking terms"

Loquacious...........which is the main reason I have so many orders to get out #-o 8-[ :lol: :lol:

I mainly call myself a furniture designer maker but get called most of the options by customers. Sometimes it is advantageous to call yourself a joiner or cabinet maker depending on the job your going for as the customer recognises these terms more.

Cheers

Jon

phil.p":28xncpnd said:
How much difference is there between a furniture maker and a cabinet maker?

A furniture maker is more a modern term and tends to be someone who does it all. IE if there is any metal work on their piece they will have welded it etc as well as any plastic molding etc.......

A cabinetmaker in the true traditional sense didn't do all the work on a piece. He was more of a collator and if for arguments sake there was a sideboard with really intricate carving work, mother of pearl inlays etc.... to be on the piece he would outsource this and other things he wasn't skilled enough to do. He would then put together all this along with his work and present to the customer.

gregmcateer":2y637qsu said:
Greedo":2y637qsu said:
This could be a helpful poll to direct certain threads etc....

Out of interest - what sort of threads?

Some folk may be wary of voting - with ye ole t'interweb, lots of stuff can hit you just coz you said you like ice cream somewhere in the past :?

Just a thort

And a paranoid thought at that lol

I selected Joiner as I work for a Joinery company although I have no formal training, I have picked everything up as I have gone along! I am far off being a qualified joiner as I would not be able to mark out a window (or anything else) however I can machine them out and put them together!

I am also a hobbiest as I do enjoy a bit of turning :)

wood butcher just about describes the bumbling ineptitude that I have become. I never make a wrong cut but the design does change often, hee hee

I would love to be able to describe myself as a hobbyist, (keen hobbyist even) because I am keen on woodwork and it is one of my hobbies. Unfortunately, as for several other people who have responded, the term butcher is more applicable. And just like the others, I'm working on it.

K

I'm anything you want as long as I get paid for it.

You want some skirting fitted? Well then I'm a carpenter........
and a cabinet making? Now I'm a cabinet maker.

I'm a joiner all this week making windows, next week I'll be a cabinet maker and from then up to Christmas I'll be a good old chippy.

Hi,

I ticked Furniture designer maker, because I do my own designs and make them my self, but I am a hobbest.

Pete

Latest posts

Back