How to store chisels safely?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just looking for some guidance on how you store your chisels to protect the edges? Are you keeping them in a partitioned drawer, or some other means?

I do metalwork in my workshop as well ( sorry....) so the magnetic holders aren't something I can use without it causing more problems than they're worth.

Thanks for any suggestions

Steve

Hang them on the wall in a wooden rack. The tidiest option is a hole per chisel in a narrow shelf, with slots for the wider ones. Or for max capacity separate two strips of wood by spacers of about 1/4".
If no wall space, make or buy a tool roll.

Hi Steve

If you are mixing metal work and woodwork you will have to be careful when working certain woods such as oak. Ferrous metals will caused black staining. You will have to give the bench a good vac before changing from metalwork to woodwork.

Chris

Hi Steve
Something like this is easy to make .

DSC_0353_zps8f0f649d.jpg

DSC_0347_zps02575d6b.jpg

DSC_0348_zpse555ba0d.jpg

DSC_0350_zpscf5a08e4.jpg

DSC_0352_zps2796232f.jpg

Just nailed together it sits on the back of the bench and when your done it goes in the tool chest.

Cheers Bern :D

I store my bench chisels and a couple of gouges in a narex tool roll http://www.amazon.co.uk/NAREX-POCKET-LEATHER-TOOL-CHISEL/dp/B00MH5QNHK. When I'm working its unrolled on the bench top, when they are not in use I tie them up and put them in the tool well. Its not cheap but its strong and protects the edges, I have read somewhere that come people have issues with leather rolls and rust but I have never had a problem.

Matt

'Nother vote for a thick-ish leather tool roll. Don't bother with canvas, denim, etc. no matter how careful you are tears likely will result over time.

Just keep mine in a dedicated drawer lined with anti-rust paper. Never experienced any problem.

Berncarpenter":3bqfhaza said:
James C":3bqfhaza said:
Bern what holds that to the edge of your Bench? Magnets?
I used 3 dominos but a french cleat would do the job
I like that. Simple. And lives in your tool chest when not needed.

CStanford":3bqfhaza said:
'Nother vote for a thick-ish leather tool roll.
I'm sure I read of people who found leather caused rust (something in the tanning process...?). I've experienced that myself, having made a few leather edge protectors for some of my chisels - some years later I found my seldom used 3/16" bevel edge chisel with serious rust pitting. I've steered clear of leather rolls as a result.

Cheers, Vann.

A storage board with holes and slots keeps the edges safe and unable to bang against one another but allows chisels to be inserted and removed without needing much space above the holder. Pictures explain better than words.

Regards

Jim
chisels.jpg
gouges.jpg

Attachments

• chisels.jpg
    chisels.jpg
    119.4 KB
  • gouges.jpg
    gouges.jpg
    123.4 KB
My most often used tools are in a rack fixed to my bench. I have been wanting to make a tool chest for a while and when I do I will definitely be taking inspiration from Berns design.

It definitely fits the bill in simplicity and ingenuity. Thanks Bern.

BTW when I transfer my tools to school it is in a Suede Tool Roll from Workshop Heaven. Very tough and good protective material. The only issue is that I've got so good at sharpening that my chisels have cut clean through the stitching at the bottom of some of the pockets.

Nothing my wife can't fix though.

Vann":resl4jos said:
Berncarpenter":resl4jos said:
James C":resl4jos said:
Bern what holds that to the edge of your Bench? Magnets?
I used 3 dominos but a french cleat would do the job
I like that. Simple. And lives in your tool chest when not needed.

CStanford":resl4jos said:
'Nother vote for a thick-ish leather tool roll.
I'm sure I read of people who found leather caused rust (something in the tanning process...?). I've experienced that myself, having made a few leather edge protectors for some of my chisels - some years later I found my seldom used 3/16" bevel edge chisel with serious rust pitting. I've steered clear of leather rolls as a result.

Cheers, Vann.

I've heard of it too but never experienced it.

Another vote here for ripping off Bern's rack.

I keep mine in a roll which then is stored in a crate with other tools, having limited top space it is a pain having the thing rolled out when in use.

jim_hanna":1u73lcr7 said:
A storage board with holes and slots keeps the edges safe and unable to bang against one another but allows chisels to be inserted and removed without needing much space above the holder. Pictures explain better than words.

Regards

Jim
I think I'll be making a couple of these on a French cleat system for my shop. Thanks for posting Jim. 8)

Regarding the leather issue, I believe its to do with using chrome(?)chromium in the tanning process rather than oak or vegetable tanning. A friend of mine makes knives and I'm sure I remember him saying something about that at least. The chemicals used in some tanning processes can affect various steels if left in contact for long periods and that's without damp coming into play to speed things up. Something along those lines anyway. Who knows. I bought an old suede coat on ebay for a quid or 2 to make some tool rolls. I cut it carefully up and....the bits are all still under the sofa. 'Curing' I tell myself.
Another one in line to steal Berns nifty idea at some point. Very smart idea.

All those lovely racks make me jealous.

My good chisels are kept in a thick leather Lie Nielson tool roll mostly. Almost all of my tools are kept in drawers as well because it makes the workshop a damn site easier to keep clean, and keeps damp at bay pretty well as my workshop is presently unheated.

Latest posts

Back