How I store my hand tools - how do you do yours?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm on the lookout for a lump of Lignum for mallet no.2 or "The Basher"

All youse guys suck I always end up with this :?

3223200741_d1cea4a518.jpg

this is still better than mine I carnt even get to my tools there all piled in the shed till i get the new shop finnished i will try to get a pick it will make you feel better!!

Tommo the sawdust maker":y5i3bt4o said:
All youse guys suck I always end up with this :?

3223200741_d1cea4a518.jpg

Schultzy, old bowls were made of Lignum Vitae but they are nor made from plastic. If the ones you have are wood then it will be Lignum Vitae.

John

Here's mine...the 'Tool Wall':

esrtyertyhrtyertyhrt.jpg

and this is just for Mike G :lol:

dsdfsdf.jpg

and you can add to that little lot a compass plane, LN Mortise chisels, LV d/t saw, LV Beading Tool, DX60 and an NX60...not forgetting Pete's scratch stock
:oops: nearly forgot...got a tasty centre gauge as well (Tiddles please note...is in on the wall, just not in the pic :wink: ) - Rob

Very nice Rob.

Aside from my comments about dust, it would worry me that this is like a tool pick 'n' pix for any shed burglars.

Cheers, Ed

Johnboy":32tap93t said:
Schultzy, old bowls were made of Lignum Vitae but they are nor made from plastic. If the ones you have are wood then it will be Lignum Vitae.

John

John's right from my experience, the old type are readily available though from car booties etc. It's probably worth popping in your local bowls club, they are bound to have a few old un's knocking about. Maybe even putting up a note offering a couple of quid each for them.

I picked up a pair of them for 2 quid, they even came in a bag with a jack!

woodbloke":1r3vxqhe said:

:oops: nearly forgot...got a tasty centre gauge as well (Tiddles please note...is in on the wall, just not in the pic :wink: ) - Rob

I hate to say it Rob but your gonna run out of wall :lol:

You even got all your sanding discs on show :shock: mine are all jumbled up in a heap in the bottom of a drawer somewhere :lol:

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson......

Some say he's got a tool for picking his nose. :lol:
Some say he 's even got tools that haven't been invented yet. :lol:

Joking aside, I'm with Ed, and I've said it earlier "What you can't see might not get nicked" :)

Lord Nibbo":16tzsafb said:
woodbloke":16tzsafb said:

Joking aside, I'm with Ed, and I've said it earlier "What you can't see might not get nicked" :)

True enough, but it can't be seen :) - Rob

woodbloke":w56j08qs said:
Lord Nibbo":w56j08qs said:
woodbloke":w56j08qs said:

True enough, but it can't be seen :) - Rob

And nor can the candles :lol: :lol:

For Mike G again, here's a few more:

klfkljcjdksejc.jpg

iosjdglk85dty6u844.jpg

...you'd need some serious wedge to buy some of these bad boys at a booty :shock: - Rob

Dear lord, that is a lot of planes. I might print that picture out for use when justifying the next plane purchase to the in house bank manager

Can I Join in? ;)

This is how my tool wall has developed over the last 18months

DSC_0236.JPG

Spoke shaves, chisels, saws, some clampsm etc. I'm probably going to get rid of the pin board, doesn't really have much use. I might put a proper cabinet on the wall or just arrange it better like John.B and Rob

When Mark an I built my work bench, Mark had the idea of making pull out trays directly under the top for tools to be placed.

DSC_0237.JPG

I havn't yet made the drawers, they're on my list for this spring/summer. I'm going to make it permanent storage for the planes and some of the tools. The only problem is dust and shavings falling through from the dog holes. So I might add a dust sheet or something.

Most other tools are currently stuffed in this drawer

DSC_0240.JPG

It houses screwdrivers, knives, squares, rulers, etc, etc. It also needs a redesign

..and just for Mike. This is my somewhat minimal plane collection ;)

DSC_0239.JPG

Back