Help with extraction please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, have recently brought a makita bench top planer,( very nice little machine BTW....) and also have a UJK router fence on my router table with a 63mm outlet. I have been doing some internet shopping for adapter solutions, so I can use my Festool extractor to remove the dust etc. I thought I had the correct thing by charnwood, and got 2 of them,sadly neither fit......see pictures:

Can someone point me to what I actually need in each situation if thats possible? I should add that the festool hose end wont fit in OR over the small end of the adapter either...... Many thanks

The internet is great but sometimes having what you need in hand in the shop and a chap who knows his stuff behind the counter is what you need...the amount of stuff I buy that is actually not right for purpose on the internet is scary!

Attachments

• IMG_8084.jpg
    IMG_8084.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8085.jpg
    IMG_8085.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the suggestion ( very clever BTW!) , it may come to that I guess, but I was hoping that somewhere I could buy something that would be a bit more tidy looking and designed for the job.

A 3D printer will solve your problems, just as it did for me. Or, if you know someone who has one. I have made numerous adapters for all sorts of things. Just yesterday I made two adapters for some jig saws for our Men's Shed.

Large diameter changes like that are rarely effective.

Others will be better placed to advise, but I expect that sadly you need a High Volume Low Pressure chip extractor for the planer as it produces woodchips rather than dust. Given your planer is small you might get away with your LVHP vaccum extractor but realistically you will have hugely better results from getting even a small HVLP.

The difference between the two types of extractor is striking, each has their own applications (LVHP for hand tools and sanders anything that makes dust / HVLP for machines which produce chips i.e planers/thicknessers/anything with a >50mm outlet), but you can't really substitute one for another.

The chip extractors are readily available second hand and don't cost much, some of them are a bit large but you can get ones with a smaller footprint. I am very space-constrained so I got the smallest one I could, I think I paid £40 for mine which is an older version of this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145707427864).

Others:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/497407816226069

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335560203140

Interesting that most of the adverts on e-bay say dust extractor on the chip extractors, generally if it's got a 4" hose inlet and bag filter its a chip extractor HVLP, a self contained dustbin type its a vacuum LVHP, one will not do the job of the other.

Interesting that most of the adverts on e-bay say dust extractor on the chip extractors, generally if it's got a 4" hose inlet and bag filter its a chip extractor HVLP, a self contained dustbin type its a vacuum LVHP, one will not do the job of the other.
Fortunately the chip extractors are generally cheaper, there are a ton of used ones. The single-bag designs like that axi one have a smaller footprint and you can mount them either vertically or horizontally, but they use the collection bag as the filter so cleaning the bag out is slightly more faff than the 2 bag models which have separate collection bags and filter bags.

I tried for ages to make do with my dustbin style LVHP vaccum extractor and all manner of adaptors before I reluctantly conceded and got a HVLP as well. My workshop is 6x8' so anything I have in there really has to justify the space it occupies, which the HVLP extractor certainly does. I would not have the room for one of the 2-bag models hence the single bag one. Mine is installed inside the cabinet that my P/T lives on (see photos).

Attachments

• IMG_4059.JPG
    IMG_4059.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4058.JPG
    IMG_4058.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4113.jpg
    IMG_4113.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4106.jpg
    IMG_4106.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I used a multi pleated cardboard filter with a rotating cleaning arm which puts most of the clinging dust back into the disposal bag, but that is a vertical arrangement, not space saving, at least the OP now should have a clear understanding that what they are trying to do will not work well.

I too have the makita thicknesser and bought the hood to connect to the lvhp extractor. I went to the local plumbers merchant and found a 65x40 coupler and with a bit of masking tape / rubber foam tape made a snug fit.

Makita hood.JPG

However, I found that just putting a toothpick through the planer somehow defied all physics and generated ten litres of wood chips...

Fed up of having to empty the dustbin so often, now I do not use the hood and let the chips go crazy and just sweep them up after.

I'm on the look out for a reasonably priced lphv extractor at the second hand shop but that's another matter.

There is enough of this type on e-bay that you could choose the most convenient for a pick up, but the need for a compact type suggests a small workshop and I would look for one with an induction motor because of the noise level.

Back