• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Help Needed Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary_S

Established Member
Reaction score
Help Needed I have an Axminster Trade at310spt Planer Thicknesser and one of the spiral cutters has chipped. Axminster don't have any spares and I desperately need one. Can anyone sell me one please?

Are they the little rectangular type spur cutters, as in :spurs

I keep some that I use on my spindle blocks.

Are you using the entire cutting width of the planer ?
Just shift the chipped insert to the end furthest from the fence and move that one which is probably little used to wherever the chipped one was. You'll lose 20mm (?) max off your planing width.
Being able to do that is one of the advantages of having a block like yours.

You can probably improvise something to keep the timber away from the chipped cutter on the end if you are thicknessing too.

if a hammer insert would fit I could dig out a spare

Otherwise If you have an unchipped side could rotate to a different edge and gently retouch with a diamond stone

When you see some of the videos where people struggle to undo these screws, maybe because they are using a cheap torx bit then it makes you realise howgood the Tersa system is.

When you see some of the videos where people struggle to undo these screws, maybe because they are using a cheap torx bit then it makes you realise howgood the Tersa system is.

They should get inserted and tightened with a torque driver to a specific torque setting- so imagine a lot have been over tightened in the past for fear of losing a bit of carbide at full speed.
They also last so long they stay in the head for potentially years without being undone with them seizing in place

Good reminder to go and take mine out, clean them and reinstall!

I strip mine off around every 3 months soak them and the screws in cutter cleaner and put them back on using a torque screwdriver
Any that are chipped get rotated and putting them back on randomly evens up and wear issues
I buy mine from a engineering wholesaler's vastly cheaper than any wood work machinery suppliers

Back