Hello & Workbench Idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Davis

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hoping I can get some thoughts and ideas on my workbench design. I am looking at starting my own little business making these.

I am designing and prototyping a steel workbench that is intended to be customised and adaptable for each different task that I want to use it for, from cutting wood for my home extension, to metal fabrication and mechanics when I work on my project cars – The idea being that one bench can be interchangeable rather than requiring a specific set up for each task.

Key features include:
  • Fully height adjustable
  • Rapid and tool-less attachment and removal of accessories such as a vice, sheet metal break, clamps, and lots more. This works via the square attachment points under the bench top.
  • Adjustable shelves and storage. All the holes on the legs allow for the fitment of different accessories, shelves and tool racks.
  • Options for electrical and pneumatic sockets for power tools
  • Easily interchangeable feet for wheels/castors.
  • Swappable bench tops, from wood to steel, for versatile use. Even a welding fixture table top.
  • Steel Frame
I believe this design has significant potential, especially for individuals with diverse hobbies and limited space for multiple workbenches and equipment.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this concept. Do you think this is something you would consider investing in, in the future?

Attachments

• Accessories.png
    Accessories.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bench 2.png
    Bench 2.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Bench.png
    Bench.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi and welcome.
I think there will be people who would find a multipurpose workbench valuable. I play with wood and metal and have sometimes wondered about this. Saving space is important.
Having a steel welding table with holes to take fixtures would be strong and heavy which is desirable in a woodworking bench too. Detachable metalwork vice is great.
Adding a sacrificial MDF surface for woodworking could make it multipurpose. Maybe raised up above the steel top so the mdf can have dog holes in it and there is enough clearance below to put track clamps through the dog holes as hold downs.
For handplane use, you would need better legs with some diagonal bracing against sideways force. Also woodwork vices are generally wider and need to fix on the front of the table / flush with the top.
I'm sure others will chime in :)

hi Tom and welcome, have to say I like your way of thinking as there are many times I’m doing a little metal work too but my shop is small so it’s already universal to a degree. I think though your biggest concern will be separating any oil , grease and metal swarf from your bench to avoid cross contamination. You won’t want to discover your treasured piece of woodwork is unable to be finished because of a blob of black grease . On a safety note sparks and sawdust don’t go well so as many safety precautions you can take the better..

As @Sideways said better legs/bracing would be needed for the lateral forces from planing. From a personal perspective a metal bench has one main drawback and that is the noise from vibration or wherever it comes from. Yes I know it’s petty but the sounds from the metal would drive me nuts.
Welcome and best of luck with your venture.
Ian

How about an L shaped bench top the that a splash back / apron to the front that bolted to the legs and top giving bracing. Un bolt it and reverse it like those IKEA chopping board. Perhaps 200mm deep apron....

Back