Hand tool door making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouldy plane

Established Member
Reaction score
How many tools does a joiner need to make a four panelled door by hand? Well as it Happens, turns out to be about 27 plus a sturdy bench, a couple of saw trestles, a morticing stool, and a glue pot. It's no wonder a pre industrial woodworker needed a sizable tool chest to house everything!

Attachments

• DSCN4473.JPG
    DSCN4473.JPG
    2.1 MB
Come on, we want a thread on how you made the door. It’s just teasing showing the tools ⚒️

Come on, we want a thread on how you made the door. It’s just teasing showing the tools ⚒️
Hi Deema. It was a project I did a few years back. It was inspired by a comment in a book called the village carpenter by Walter Rose. he stated that it was considered a good days work to make a four panelled door in a day. This was completely done by hand from rough sawn planks. I decided it would be a good project to have a go at. It did end up as an article in issue 7 of Mortise and Tenon magazine. If I get the time I will try and post the process, and how I got on

Back