Flattening a “slab”

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedman

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn’t sure where to post this, so thought I would try here! I have a piece of oak worktop that I am going to make into the base for a record deck {on the vinyl revival!). The piece has a slight cup to it and I want to flatten this out. I don’t want to buy a flattening jig so am asking if there is anyone out there who might be able to do this for me in exchange for some drinks tokens! I am based near Kettering so locally to that would be really helpful. Many thanks in advance!

Make a flattening jig. I did when initially flattening my bench top and subsequently when flattening some table decorations more akin to your oak slab. Cobble together a couple of 'angle-irons' in wood (30×30 + 50×10 wood) longer than the slab + your router. Join at each end so the 50×10 is in same plane. Support a few mm above your slab and rout away. You may need to finish with a hand plane but 99% of the work will be done.
I'm away from home at the moment otherwise I'd post a photo of my Heath Robinson affair. I'll try and remember tomorrow.
Hope it makes sense.
Martin

If it’s not too costly to post to me etc ….a straightforward bit of work on my 8x4 ft linear rail setup I use for large slabs. Or you could drive up one weekend and I’ll talk you through/help you flatten it yourself etc

Hi if you fancy a drive to Bishops stortford I can do it whilst you wait on the big cnc router. We've done a good few similar items, its quick and simple (hence beer tokens )

Hi if you fancy a drive to Bishops stortford I can do it whilst you wait on the big cnc router. We've done a good few similar items, its quick and simple (hence beer tokens )
Apologies about the delay in replying. I’m a school teacher and the end of term sort of got in the way. I’d really like to take you up on the offer for flattening this slab! It’s only small so will not take very long! I’ve messaged you with my number. Please let me know when would be convenient for me to drop in. I’m in Kettering, so it looks like about an hour to get to you.

With kindest regards

Back