Five favourite quotes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'I was never aware of any other option but to question everything' - Chomsky

'Anger is a gift' - Aristotle

'Comparison is the thief of joy' - Theodore Roosevelt

'Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past' - Orwell

'If you see a problem and you don’t come to the table with a potential solution, I don’t want to hear your whining about how bad it is. It couldn’t be that bad if it hasn’t motivated you to try to fix it' - Schwarzenegger

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. Mark Twain
Keep walking through swamp water and not wearing proper clothing says the Confederation Of Leeches, Lampreys & Ticks.
I used to think I hated Facebook. I realised I don’t, I hate people. When it comes to Marmite, nobody hates the jar.
Everybody has two lives. The second begins the day you realise you only have one. Confucius.
Reasoning will never make a man correct an ill opinion, which by reasoning he never acquired. Various.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

(Don't know who might have said it first
It takes a big man to admit he's wrong but it takes an even bigger man to give a giraffe a hair cut - R Knox
America is the best half-educated country in the world. (Butler)

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in. But they’re ever so small, that’s why rain is so thin! (Spike Milligan)

Only five? That will be difficult... sorry, I just can't do it! :dunno:

1) "Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn at no other."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1706-1790.

2) "Wisdom... is knowing what to do.
Skill... is knowing how to do it.
Virtue... is doing it." -- Anonymous.

3) "Pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment
in all human affairs.” -- Albert Einstein

4) “I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead
from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.” -- D.H. Lawrence.

5) "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
-- Pablo Picasso

6) "Life is a journey, not a destination." --Plutarch

7) "The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose.
It will defend itself." -- Anonymous.

8) "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wood

9) "Failure is an experience, not an individual." -- Geneva Gay

10) "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs,
even though checkered by failure, than to take up ranks with those
poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, for they live
in that gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

11) "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said 'I don't know.'" -- Mark Twain

12) "When we have done our best, we should wait the result in peace." -- J. Lubbock

13) "With age comes wisdom... but sometimes it comes alone." -- unknown

14) "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen
and thinking what nobody has thought." -- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

15) "Courageous risks are life giving, they help you grow, make you brave
and better than you think you are." -- Joan L. Curcio

16) "A great oak is only a little nut that held its ground." -- Anonymous

17) "A mind is a fire to be kindled, not a vessel to be filled." -- Plutarch

18) "A short pencil is better than a long memory." -- unknown

Additionally, I cannot resist sharing this one from my nephew:
"Blunder through life without a care in the world and people will never
expect a thing... and yet will be pleasantly surprised on occasion." Edward Louis Acle

And in closing (from this website I believe):
"Any quotation can be made to sound more profound by attribution to an
ancient philosopher." -- Plato

From Work:-

'Promoted to the level of their incompetence!'

Often said of useless managers when you wonder how they got to that position. I've had two of these in the past!

Also, see below paraphrased from John Ruskin!
Our take on that one was "promoted out of harms way" or "promoted to a level where they can't do any damage". I'm sure we've all had some of those.

Sorry bit of a long one but I will never forget reading this quote and it is one I always read every year, around this time of year, from one of the most poignant and powerful books I have ever read and thoroughly recommend you read it if you haven't - The Only Plane In the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11

Capt. Jay Jonas, Ladder 6, FDNY, awaiting orders in the North Tower's ground-floor lobby command post
"I'm standing there. It was very loud - as you can imagine, the acoustics of the World Trade Center weren't really good, a lot of echoes - and all of a sudden it got very quiet. One of the firemen from Recuse 1 looked up and said "We may not live through today". We looked at him, and we looked at each other, and we said, "You're right". We took the time to shake each other's hands and wish each other good luck and "Hope I'll see you later", which is especially poignant for me because we all had that acknowledgement that this might be our last day on earth and we went to work anyway"

Last edited:
Back