Five favourite quotes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kazuo Ishiguro -
It seems to me that in this past year, we’ve reached the peak of two opposing ways of approaching truth. On the one hand, we’ve had a search for truth as it exists in your world, in the world of science, and we’ve come to rely on that desperately. All our hopes are placed on you being able to tell us what’s happening, how we get out of this situation. And I think we really appreciate the fact that all the discussions you have are based on evidence and rigorous method.

Contrasting to this, particularly around things like the US election, we seem to have this completely different approach to truth, which you could summarise by saying “whatever you feel with sufficient conviction is the truth”. And the evidence is almost irrelevant. It’s your emotions that give the truth validity.

Validity of emotions is only the observable truth of one's self.
It's the absurdity of the belief that the truth of others is a false truth and that the evidence of absence of truth is not the same as a truth of absence of another's truth.
Simple realy !

To paraphrase SG Tallentyre (attrib in The Friends of Voltaire)
"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend, (but not necessarily to the death), your right to say it"

You are only young once, but you can be immature for as long as you like!
Do it now, tomorrow may be too late.
You won't get a splinter across the grain.
You have two eyes, two ears and one mouth. That should tell you enough about which ones should be used most. (Or, a closed mouth gathers no feet.)
Experience is something you don't get until after you needed it.
Fortune favours the prepared (Pasteur, and yes, I know it's incomplete.)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein
"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." Attributed to both Twain & Lincoln
"When faced with a choice of two evils, choose the one you haven't tried before" Mae West
"Reason shapes the future but superstition infects the present" Ian Banks
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens

From Work:-

'Promoted to the level of their incompetence!'

Often said of useless managers when you wonder how they got to that position. I've had two of these in the past!

Also, see below paraphrased from John Ruskin!

Back