Five favourite quotes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Please post yours - it's a bit of fun, please don't criticise other people's choices or point out that they can also be attributed to other people (we probably already know that).

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. Maya Angelou.
No one ever suddenly became depraved. Juvenal
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Hanlon ('s razor).

Nobody is equal to anybody. Even the same man is not equal to himself on different days. Thomas Sowell.
My father told fortures and sold horses. He told people their horses would be stolen, and they marvelled at his powers when they were. Tommy Shelby.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.
And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives. T. Pratchett
“I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.” ― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

can only think of three that I use frequently.

[the problem with] Common sense is [that it is] not so common - Voltair
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Hanlon's razor
The only time you look in your neighbor's bowl is to make sure that they have enough. Louis CK*

* I didn't know who this was said by and my Googling has attributed it to the comedian Louis CK in around 2013, although it feels like it should be much older that this.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” an old Greek proverb I heard on tv once and really liked it.

"
knowing is not enough we must apply, willing is not enough we must do" Leonardo da Vinci and echoed later by Bruce Lee

If you don't get to it when you get at it, you won't get at it till you get to it again.

If you can't be good be careful, if you can't be careful buy a Leeway,

Now the younger amongst us will never get that.

My Farther (ex submariner) would advise me "if a fight is inevitable get the first hit in hard enough that the other person does not get up"

Back