First time shellac...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have had some shellac flakes sitting staring at me for some time and want to mix some of them tomorrow for a first attempt at a shellac finish on a cabinet.

Can anyone recommend what the correct weight in g to ml of methylated spirit is ? I can't seem to understand this 1/4lb cut and 1/2lb cut and all the mad american imperial measurements (sorry I was born in the early 90's).

Can anyone advise?

Allow at least 24 hours for the mix to complete
I did a 50 50% mix and after 12 hours it looked like my custard... lumpy
So I mixed it with a wood fork and left it
After 24 hours it was fully mixed...eg a liquid not lumps and flakes
Mine was a bit thick but like you it was my first attempt and it was good for the planned task.... filling end grain on bowl I used methylated sprits to mix with the flakes
If doing more than one coat wait until really dry and hard, light sand I used 400 grit then re coat
Repeat as meany times as needed, though item will go darker with each coat
Hope this helps

When I started, I avoided getting bogged down with cut and conversion of metric / imperial / metric. I picked an arbitrary container (in this case a cleaned jar of curry sauce), put about a cm of flakes in the bottom (marked the level with a permanent marker), then added alcohol to about 2/3 full, mixed it, put the lid on. On that first go, after 24hrs or so of regular mixing / shaking, I still had a few flakes left on the bottom. I added a bit more alcohol in, mixed, left, agitated etc. That worked out fine for me.

Shellac is a unique material. That slow dissolve gives it potential to be polished by a rubber. Cellulose lacquer is rapidly dissolved by thinners meaning it cant easily be contact applied coat on coat(the second coat ruins the first). A slow thinner called pullover solution was used to achieve a French polished appearance.
Just an aside but freshness is much more important than cut. Also its known the addition of oil when bodying up causes a soft film. Waxed shellac (ie button, French, ) have softer films than dewaxed(lemon and garnet)

I grind my flakes in a cheap electric coffee grinder before mixing with meths. That seems to help the two mix.

I've also bought myself a small electric stirrer I'm looking forward to using on my next batch (as well as for mixing milk paint).

Hello all,

I have had some shellac flakes sitting staring at me for some time and want to mix some of them tomorrow for a first attempt at a shellac finish on a cabinet.

Can anyone recommend what the correct weight in g to ml of methylated spirit is ? I can't seem to understand this 1/4lb cut and 1/2lb cut and all the mad american imperial measurements (sorry I was born in the early 90's).

Can anyone advise?
Never tried using meths, is the colour not an issue?

Meths works fine. No worries about their being a blue tinge. I've had no issues using it
Agreed. This is shellac dissolved in meths - you can decide if it's too blue.

Uke back in shellac.jpeg

Back