First scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob D

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
I’m not new to woodworking but I haven’t done any scroll sawing before, I’ve found a secondhand Hegner multi cut 2, I know Hegner’s have a good reputation but would this be a good one to get started on?

Evening all
I’m not new to woodworking but I haven’t done any scroll sawing before, I’ve found a secondhand Hegner multi cut 2, I know Hegner’s have a good reputation but would this be a good one to get started on?
Rob, you could not find a better saw to start with, Hegners are quality made saws built to last a lifetime. Often people buy a cheap poorly made and awkward to use saw which often puts them off the hobby for good. If you care to have a look at my website You will find a page covering Hegner with links to videos I have made on Hegner saws. https://sites.google.com/view/scrimpers-fretworking-site/home

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-03 234507.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-03 234507.jpg
    241.3 KB
Rob, you could not find a better saw to start with, Hegners are quality made saws built to last a lifetime. Often people buy a cheap poorly made and awkward to use saw which often puts them off the hobby for good. If you care to have a look at my website You will find a page covering Hegner with links to videos I have made on Hegner saws. https://sites.google.com/view/scrimpers-fretworking-site/home
Good to know I’m on the right lines scrimper, I’ll be taking a look at the website later.
I have found a secondhand multicut 2 nearby that I’ll be taking a look at.
Many thanks

Good to know I’m on the right lines scrimper, I’ll be taking a look at the website later.
I have found a secondhand multicut 2 nearby that I’ll be taking a look at.
Many thanks
Two things to look for - 1) the most important - quick tension release and 2) quick blade clamp.
The quick blade clamp is essential but if your purchase does not have one you can buy one later.
The quick tension release is more complex if it's not fitted as standard as it's part of the top arm and expensive to retro fit - however you can buy a kit which adds a tension clamp which fits on the rear - not as good as the one on the arm but better than none at all.
Both of the above are essential if you are doing lot's of internal cuts.

The other thing worth having is variable speed control not essential but very helpful to a novice or when cutting thin or delicate work.
Hegners are fitted with induction motors with integral speed control (which are extremely reliable, smooth running and quiet compared to series wound carbon brush motors used in many other brands) But you cannot use a separate speed control with such a motor the only way to add it is the whole motor unit at huge cost and not worth considering on economic grounds.

Be aware that spare parts for Hegner are very expensive if you need them but in fairness the machines are extremely reliable, I have had mine for 25 years and only replaced the blower bellows (£20.00 for a pattern version) and the little on/off switch (standard mini rocker switch) obtainable from electronic sellers at £2.00. (Hegner charge over £24.00 for the switch which is ridiculous)

Back