Fed up with getting shocked!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry J

Established Member
Reaction score
I get static shocks from the hose when using my Festool Track saw, the hose is connected to a basic shop vac. If I buy an anti static hose will it stop the static when connected to my basic shop vac or does it (hose and vac) need to be grounded?
Grateful for any hose recommendations please.

I use a wire wound flexible hose on one of my extractors.

There is a earth/ground point on the machine to which I connect a wire and then the other end to the encased spiral.

On the other hand, the hose I use with the plunge saw is plastic and ungrounded and I have never received a shock from it.

My large nv750 / cyclone used to do the same. Every time I’d empty the bin I’d get a sharp static shock . I grounded it using aluminium tape ( about 15 mm wide and a piece of copper wire with a penny washer attached and placed on the ground .the other end was attached to one of the bolts on the cyclone so it made contact with the foil - no more shocks 🤗🤗

I didn't appreciate the whole antistatic thing until I started hanging my extractor hose from a boom arm above my bench.

I started getting shocks from the hanging hose when using my track saw, the worst part was I often got the shock from the hose catching my ear which was actually quite painful!

I realised that when I set up the boom arm I had added a 2m length of non anti static hose between the green Festool hose and the Festool extractor, obviously breaking the route to the ground 🙄 To overcome this I ran some wire from the end of the Festool hose to where the hose plugs in the vac so bridging the gap where the non antistatic hose is, happy to say I haven't had a shock since.

The Festool vacs have some metal prongs in the socket where you plug the hose in, I've always presumed these are to do with the antistatic feature and earthing the hose , if this is true I guess not just any old vac will work with an antistatic hose unless you earth it some other way.

I did use an antistatic hose with what I presume was a non antistatic extractor for quite a while and didn't get a shock but looking back I do wonder if the hose dragging on the concrete floor was maybe earthing it?

Pretty sure I've only ever had shocks when using the track saw and then do wonder if it's dependent on the material you are cutting?

I didn't appreciate the whole antistatic thing until I started hanging my extractor hose from a boom arm above my bench.

I started getting shocks from the hanging hose when using my track saw, the worst part was I often got the shock from the hose catching my ear which was actually quite painful!

I realised that when I set up the boom arm I had added a 2m length of non anti static hose between the green Festool hose and the Festool extractor, obviously breaking the route to the ground 🙄 To overcome this I ran some wire from the end of the Festool hose to where the hose plugs in the vac so bridging the gap where the non antistatic hose is, happy to say I haven't had a shock since.

The Festool vacs have some metal prongs in the socket where you plug the hose in, I've always presumed these are to do with the antistatic feature and earthing the hose , if this is true I guess not just any old vac will work with an antistatic hose unless you earth it some other way.

I did use an antistatic hose with what I presume was a non antistatic extractor for quite a while and didn't get a shock but looking back I do wonder if the hose dragging on the concrete floor was maybe earthing it?

Pretty sure I've only ever had shocks when using the track saw and then do wonder if it's dependent on the material you are cutting?
Now that’s really interesting Doug as I too have the hose suspended above the track saw and the static only seems to be when cutting MR MDF in particular thicker material. I’ll drop the hose to the floor and see if that stops the static shocks.

I also have a Festool CT26 vac perched up high in my workshop with a 7mtr x 36mm dia hose suspended on a homemade boom arm.
Even though the hose is the Antistatic one, I do occasionally get a static shock from it but the majority of the materials I cut & machine are manmade and I do wonder if that is the reason why....
My CT is definitely earthed though....?? At least, I had always assumed it was..?

Mine was every time I unsnapped the lid -I’d hear sharp crack then a split second later “ ouch!!! Expletive expletive..I certainly wouldn’t of wanted that anywhere near my face 😩😩

I removed the overhead hose and just laid it on the floor, did quite a few cuts occasionally touching the hose and no static, so it looks like that’s the way I’ll go. Thanks for all the replies 👍

Back