Epoxy thickener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if you're leaving the walls reasonably thick I'd just turn and finish that as is, the cracks are part of its charm. If you're really worried about it exploding I'd run thin CA into the cracks (but don't fill them fully) and a quick spray of accelerator. That'll be enough to stabilise the cracks and stop them propagating while you finish turning.
The cracks are definitely part of the charm, but I would like to emphasise them with black epoxy. Not as look for every project, but can look quite striking. Definitely agree about the super glue + accelerator for stopping cracks spreading

Hi Alex, I have tried a number of different methods to fill cracks/voids on my turned pieces over the years, including CA glue, PVA Glue, Milliput, epoxy resin resins etc, each with a measure of success. I have recently changed to simple wood filler, which I sometimes colour. The problem with 'pourable' resins is you are reliant on gravity doing its bit,however, like others have mentioned curvature of the 'piece' may require damming and or gentle heat to release air bubbles (Ok you could use a Pressure Pot to do the same thing).

With the wood filler method, I use Ronseal Hi-Perf Filler, you can work the paste into the voids, BUT you have to be quick as especially in summer it goes off quick, so little and often.
Of the options you have tried, how would you rate the levels of shine you can get in them? Something that was a paste that could be polished to a low gloss would be perfect!

Latest posts

Back