End grain chopping board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All

I’m looking for a decent quality end grain chopping board mainly to help not dulling our kitchen knife’s - mrs is using plastic. I would make my own but, time, kids - you know the drill :)

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Simplest approach would be get a decent sized bit of 2” thick sycamore or beech, plane it flat and you’ll have a nice board that will be easy to skim every 6months with a sharp plane.

If you really want endgrain then try and get something 2” thick and using decent sized pieces in a brick pattern- beech sycamore maple all good timbers.

Anything with loads of small pieces or random tropical timbers is more for looks than performance. Exotics blunt knives the same they do plane blades.

Think @SkinnyB makes boards so might be able to sort you out

Simplest approach would be get a decent sized bit of 2” thick sycamore or beech, plane it flat and you’ll have a nice board that will be easy to skim every 6months with a sharp plane.
He asked for end grain though.

These are OK https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-rectangular-wooden-chopping-board-large/c460

Good price for a pro grade end grain board. They do smaller ones cheaper, but big is better if you have the space.

For a quality uplift I would also check out the online shops that supply equipment to butchers. Some of the best boards that will stand up to constant use are Italian made. Circa 3" thick. They cost more but are properly made with through bolts. Will last a lifetime.

Personally I've never ever seen a wooden cutting board in a kitchen, mainly as you cant stick it in the dishwasher to sterilize it. Every kitchen I've ever worked in use polypropylene.

And then the choice of timber they've used 'rubberwood' doesnt strike me as being professional despite the label. Thats usually used for flooring and cheap furniture imported from the far east and sold in places like garden centers.
A disadvantage of rubberwood according to the web is its tendency to absorb moisture. Thats not maybe the best thing as it would take on smells of food cut on it and as said difficult to clean properly
If you must have a small wooden kitchen cutting board, at least go with maple or sycamore, or even walnut.
Besides 80 quid is expensive even for a maple board, so this seems a bit of a gimmick, maybe as an on environmental wink to sustainability.

Last edited:
Back