Electric Multi Function Tools the cheaper ones and Gas Central Heating Boilers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Long winded bit - sorry.
My son has just bought a 1930s house where the central heating boiler is at floor level in the kitchen with the flue straight out through the wall.
House has been empty for about 6 months and the executors have no records of anything useful. Son being sensible wants a gas safety check and service before he tries to switch it on.
The gas was off at the mains and its possible if he turns the gas on it might/will fire up using the wall thermostat to give the on signal also there is a typical in a fireplace gas fire (gas to be capped off as part of gas safety check) or none of the above will happen -- maybe BOOM.

The boiler is in a long alcove. Access to the boiler is via sliding out a wheeled floor unit and moving a nearby electric cooker THEN removing a kitchen worktop that sits above both. to get access to the boiler cover and controls.
The worktop looks a recent install as the white silicone looks newish. Perhaps the worktop was replaced or installed to make it look better for selling the house.

To the point ---- the worktop has a 7cm square upstand on 3 sides of the worktop, looking underneath - both ends of the worktop appear to rest on a sort of shelf bracket on each end and rests on a batten along the longer 3rd side. Cant see any fixing other than lavish amounts of silicone along the top of the upstand joint of both and some underneath and to the wall. I need to get the worktop off!

Other than trying Stanley knife blades to cut through would an electric multi function tool be the tool to slide in and cut through the silicone so I can work the the worktop out. I don't wish to destroy the worktop.
Ive been considering buying a multi tool and now half an excuse to buy one!
Anyone have experience of a cheaper one and what kind of blade would be best to try and cut through the rubberized silicone that can be a devil to cut through
thanks

Last edited:
You have some issues that will need fixing which will all depend on the results of the gas safety check. One of the regulations regarding gas boilers is easy access for inspection and maintenance of the boiler and flue which it sounds like you do not have.

As to silicone a sharp knife is the best option and you could also try silicon remover

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soudal-Sea...e119f2279d35376e9086a293cbd038d5&gad_source=1

or

https://www.toolstation.com/soudal-silicone-remover/p75719

Use a process of cut and soak whilst giving the worktop an occasional tug to dislodge.

If you go for a multitool then you need a cutting blade rather than one with teeth and are more likely to damage the worktop.

As above. Fein for example sell a blade that is 4 or 5cm wide and simply sharpened to a knife edge instead of a sawtooth. It is intended as a power scraper / cutting blade for glues, silicone and the like. I have one and it is useful. Equally, with a grinder, you could grind back the teeth and sharpen any old blade to a knife edge.

Not wishing to deter you from buying a multitool, which you will find more than useful, but I have a simple piece of saw plate from a scrapped Japanese blade I have shaped and ground an edge on, that I use for slitting things like silicone joints, just replaced some kitchen worktops, used it to get the old ones off, I also use it for getting broken DG units out of frames, when they have either been security taped in or siliconed, works a treat.

steel.jpg

I bought an Erbauer multi tool from Screwfix about year or eighteen months ago for about £80. It came with several blades one of which was a 'power scraper' blade as described above by sideways. I've not tried that particular blade but find the multi tool excellent for those cutting jobs you can't get at with an ordinary saw. Erbauer may not be a brilliant brand but good enough for my needs and not excruciatingly expensive.
Have fun
Martin

Thanks everyone
So maybe its just simply cutting out as I've done before.
I like the HOJ approach with a bigger sharp edge so I will try with a sharpened wallpaper scraper/filling knife plus it has a handle.
cheers
I will look at the Erbauer as thats the price area I'd look - although I am sure there is something (anonymous brand) even cheaper for occasional use if I look hard
Plus Ive just seen that Bosch and Dewalt seem to have good prices offer at Screwfix so will have to looksee - the cutter blades can be expensive!

I bought an Erbauer multi tool from Screwfix about year or eighteen months ago for about £80. It came with several blades one of which was a 'power scraper' blade as described above by sideways. I've not tried that particular blade but find the multi tool excellent for those cutting jobs you can't get at with an ordinary saw. Erbauer may not be a brilliant brand but good enough for my needs and not excruciatingly expensive.
Have fun
Martin
I've got an Einhell one that's been really good as well. Got a few of their tools and they're holding up pretty well and not ridiculously expensive.

I personally find scalpels are the best tool for cutting out or trimming silicone sealant.
I find that larger blades such as Stanley for example can become stuck where the Silicone grabs the sides of the blade making it harder to use than would a smaller blade such as a Swann Morton 10A.
Whilst a smaller section and hence likelyhood of breaking a blade or two I find they are much faster in practice and replacement blades cheap

for occasional use there are any number of cheap options, as long as you buy corded so batteries aren't an issue, and you buy a machine that takes an easily replacable blade type (I have dewalt which uses the open back type which I've always liked) you are going to be fine. Get good quality blades. If you were willing to spend a bit more you can often find the dewalt corded model for about £95, which may or may not be a better machine than the £80 erbauer but will almost certainly sell on easier if that were something you are likely to do.

It might be trivial but please be aware of any electrical cables edit. Or pipes that may possibly be hidden at the edge of the worktop or behind the upstand. What I will say is you boiler is definitely inaccessible as every time you have a service or gas safety check or a breakdown you will have to make it accessible ..what about topping up the pressure or the occasional reset . ??how old is the boiler ? If new ( ish ) can it be relocated? A photo would be helpful but it already sounds like it should be fitted elsewhere..

It might be trivial but please be aware of any electrical cables edit. Or pipes that may possibly be hidden at the edge of the worktop or behind the upstand. What I will say is you boiler is definitely inaccessible as every time you have a service or gas safety check or a breakdown you will have to make it accessible ..what about topping up the pressure or the occasional reset . ??how old is the boiler ? If new ( ish ) can it be relocated? A photo would be helpful but it already sounds like it should be fitted elsewhere..
Thanks for the thought about cables
Who knows what the boiler is/age/anything as until we can get to it ? so gas not being turned on for the time being.
Cooking is electric.
Boiler probably to be replaced as part of a house sort out
The previous elderly owner lady didn't seem to have people to help her so maybe the boiler just rolled along without attention

Thanks for the thought about cables
Who knows what the boiler is/age/anything as until we can get to it ? so gas not being turned on for the time being.
Cooking is electric.
Boiler probably to be replaced as part of a house sort out
The previous elderly owner lady didn't seem to have people to help her so maybe the boiler just rolled along without attention
Absolutely the right thing is the gas safety check. Not only will the engineer check ( not service) the boiler but a visual check on any other appliances connected to the gas supply. The gas meter and the pipework will be visually checked and then a pressure ( tightness test ) will be carried out . The gas safety check ( cp12 ) will not cover you for any repairs but will identify any issues that might need to be addressed. Should he or she find anything immediately dangerous the your permission will be sought to make that appliance safe ( disconnected,capped and labelled ) should this be the case ( old gas fire ) you mentioned then just let it be done . As soon as you have the facts then your son can plan his next move..old folk are known for not having things repaired and maintained so be prepared for the worst ( complete new heating system/ boiler and possible house re wire etc .. good luck 🤞

If you can find a local supplier of car paint, they generally sell all the stuff to go with it. Filler spreaders, basically thin sheets of springy steel with a plastic edge on one side as a handle. They come in various sizes and very cheap. A few strokes on a stone and you can get a sharp edge on them. They are really good for this sort of job.

Hasnt the boiler has been made accessable, move a unit on wheels and lift out the bit of worktop,,,mind you shifting the cooker might be a step too far?? However, at the moment you dont know what the old boiler is, it could even be a reasonably modern floor standing version, why not have a little explore before getting in a plumber who will only tell you that you need a new boiler?
Steve.

I agree Steve
One of the problems is that I am in Sussex the house is in Stockport (250 miles away) so I cant just pop round and get all this stuff and nonsense easily sorted. Its only just been bought and the 3 days I was there last week had me involved in other things. The "gasman" of which I know nowt said he couldn't get access to the boiler the day before I arrived. At the moment my son and wife (and baby) seem a bit incapable of any commonsense. So I guess I will need to go visit with some tools and an appointment with gas person (and I want to see who he is first) so the heating can hopefully be turned on and the house aired and dried a bit as old houses when unoccupied for a while with no ventilation/windows open suffer. The electric hob type cooker would just budge a bit as needed. They haven't moved in yet

for occasional use there are any number of cheap options, as long as you buy corded so batteries aren't an issue, and you buy a machine that takes an easily replacable blade type (I have dewalt which uses the open back type which I've always liked) you are going to be fine. Get good quality blades. If you were willing to spend a bit more you can often find the dewalt corded model for about £95, which may or may not be a better machine than the £80 erbauer but will almost certainly sell on easier if that were something you are likely to do.
An update on the corded Multi Function Tool situation - looked at various brands and came across this one.
https://www.ptctools.co.uk/DeWalt-R...olt-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-w-Bag-300W/P244772
Model DWE315B £69.99 postage £4.99
Described as reconditioned see below.
In practice mine was brand new the bag and everything was mint, the plug looked as if it had never been plugged in. The tool is very good and easy to use - recommended!

Reasons To Buy Recon:
Prices are much cheaper than new products
Each reconditioned tool is checked before leaving DeWalt
The Only Difference between products will be cosmetic

This is a DeWalt factory-reconditioned machine & comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty. They are in a near new condition but may be scratched or marked in some way. Repairs under warranty can be carried out by any DeWalt service agent (including us!) providing a copy of the receipt is shown. Some machines may have signs of use due to testing carried out by DeWalt.

Back