Dusty Boys floor protection?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting some of these mats for protecting the floors in customers houses, not cheap but look like a decent product.

Before I part with my cash just thought I would ask if anyone has used them or what alternative products people are using?

https://dustyboys.co.uk/

I use the 8x4 corrugated sheets and cut them to whatever shape/width and tape together with duct tape if dust sheets are inappropriate.They fold up quite compact to keep in the van to reuse.About £5 sheet from Howdens/Wickes/b&q.

The builders who worked on our property last year used a rolls of sticky backed plastic that glued to the carpets. It was indispensable for keeping plaster dust off them and worked really well on the stairs. Though it was, in a sense an underlayer as dust sheets were used on top.

Thinking of getting some of these mats for protecting the floors in customers houses, not cheap but look like a decent product.

Before I part with my cash just thought I would ask if anyone has used them or what alternative products people are using?

https://dustyboys.co.uk/
I thinks someone is trying to cash in on the ppe market like in 2019 ( Covid ) it’s just a gimmicky way to take your cash . They look nice , sure to impress most customers but as above there are many other options out there . I’ve not read all the specs for those sheets but even if they are the re invented wheel the cost is huge . I notice there is no large sheets - , an average 4 x 4 mtr room would cost a few hundred given the prices for the smaller ones . Given they are to protect the customers floor they won’t look very snazzy after you have removed a wall or plastered a ceiling . Ply or hardboard will protect hard floors from impact ( sds drill bit , chisel etc ) but I doubt these will. The one I used at b gas were for laminate, slippy floors and were excellent but I doubt they cost anything like these do ..

Best thing I have discovered is waterproof Cordura style cloth.
You can buy it on ebay etc by the meter.
I buy 10 metres and cut it into manageable sections, lasts for years.
The best thing about it is that it has a rubber side that is not only waterproof but also non slip. You can buy different weights I think 600 denier is what I got last time.
For dust cloths to cover furniture I use dupont sontara fabric sheets which are soft and also waterproof. Buy them at Wiper supply, only come in boxes if 10. Also last for years.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@Ollie78 I'm liking the sound of the Cordura style cloth, sounds perfect for what I want. I'll get a few metres of it and see how it goes (y)

I’ve seen several YouTube Sparks use the “Dusty boys” under a socket to protect when chasing etc, not bad, I have some door mats from Costco with rubber backing for similar work at home… I think I’ve learned more from this thread. Will look at the Cordura and DuPont suggestions and get some on hand. Thank you all!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@Ollie78 I'm liking the sound of the Cordura style cloth, sounds perfect for what I want. I'll get a few metres of it and see how it goes (y)
It is great, maybe we need to print a logo on some and start flogging it!!
The only other person I have seen using it was the chimney sweep who came to sort out our woodburner. He swears by it as well. Added bonus is you can get almost any colour.

I think it is a bit of a gimmick to take your cash, it is really nothing more than what you can get anywhere except you join there club like Apple and Festool.

Back