Dovetails in softwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a though about the wood choice, I have some recycled cedar that could be used for the project. How do you think that would behave, must be better than pine, yes?

regards

Brian
Hi Brian. I didn't check how old this thread is, but if it is current... I am using some recycled cedar (of British origin I presume) and I find it difficult enough to work with, especially when it comes to cleaning out the doves and tails after initial cutting. Cedar (British) is very brittle apparently, and I have confirmed this as I lost a tail on my first joint for the project; just snapped off with no sign of a knot or a crack. I wouldn't say don't use it unless it's Canadian cedar, but just be careful. Even when it is wood "just lying around" we still paid for it or won it from a skip or somewhere else, so just as precious if not more so!

Hi Brian. I didn't check how old this thread is, but if it is current... I am using some recycled cedar (of British origin I presume) and I find it difficult enough to work with, especially when it comes to cleaning out the doves and tails after initial cutting. Cedar (British) is very brittle apparently, and I have confirmed this as I lost a tail on my first joint for the project; just snapped off with no sign of a knot or a crack. I wouldn't say don't use it unless it's Canadian cedar, but just be careful. Even when it is wood "just lying around" we still paid for it or won it from a skip or somewhere else, so just as precious if not more so!
Two essentials (amongst others);
1 Make deep cut knife lines for the shoulders, both sides both pieces. You chisel back to the line without going a gnats over. Aim at undercutting the shoulders very slightly so they are a tight fit where visible.
2 Overcut with the DT saw very slightly on both pinholes and tails. This makes it much easier to cut out the waste as the corners then take care of themselves.
3 Have a look at some old hand done DTs if you have some old drawers on hand. They almost always show the knife lines and the over cutting - sometimes excessive!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back