dewalt plunge saw and rail - how to clamp to work piece ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
I (well work actually) have recently bought a dewalt rail and plunge saw , which i thought would be really good - however to my imense disapointment the rail wont stay still and keeps sliding off line , and is impossible to clamp down.

wizer said on a different thread that both ez and festool clamped down easily so this makes me wonder if i'm missing something obvious with the dewalt - or if a part is missing.

its one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-DeWa ... 725402.htm

actually looking at the website it appears that the clamps dont come as standard but are an optional extra - but that cant be right surely ???

My mafell came with clamps that slide in a t-slot on the under side of the rail, this keeps them out of the way of the track, id imagine that dewalt would use a similar system but would have thought it should come with a couple.

On axminster they're shown as quick clamps, these are also available for mine but the kit came with standard 'threaded' clamps maybe you are missing them then?

These are the Festool ones

00003408.jpg

These are the EZ Smart ones

smartclamp.jpg

and these are DeWalts

5e86b0afee947f7b99d397c6ec9add71.jpg

wizer":180cw5fi said:
and these are DeWalts

5e86b0afee947f7b99d397c6ec9add71.jpg

yep we definitely dont have any of them - i'll ring axminster tommorow and see if they should have been included as standard - if so they'll probably send some out - if not i (work) will have to buy a couple as its 'king impossible to use without them

All these companies say you can use them without clamps but I never feel confident it's not going to slip

wizer":36zd2e2v said:
All these companies say you can use them without clamps but I never feel confident it's not going to slip

and based on my recent experience i can certify that you are right to feel that way

Those dewalt ones look great, I tried to imitate them with some quick clamps of my own but couldn't get it to work the same.

big soft moose":2x8pxs3e said:
actually looking at the website it appears that the clamps dont come as standard but are an optional extra - but that cant be right surely ???

It's the same with the Makita rail saw, it wouldn't be so bad if they were reasonably priced but they seem a lot of money for a couple of clamps.

Jonesy":2eng5ylz said:
big soft moose":2eng5ylz said:

It's the same with the Makita rail saw, it wouldn't be so bad if they were reasonably priced but they seem a lot of money for a couple of clamps.

ahh well, at least its not my money ... thanks for the input guys.

Don't spend ££££'s on the special rail clamps... I use a couple of these with the Festool guide rails and plunge saw; clamp the rail to the sheet at the 'thick' side of the rail (i.e. the side furthest from the cut) and the saw body passes right over the top of them. The rail doesn't seem to move without clamps, but I feel happier with them. Quick, easy and cheap :D

DangerousDave":2xltcyib said:
Don't spend ££££'s on the special rail clamps... I use a couple of these with the Festool guide rails and plunge saw; clamp the rail to the sheet at the 'thick' side of the rail (i.e. the side furthest from the cut) and the saw body passes right over the top of them. The rail doesn't seem to move without clamps, but I feel happier with them. Quick, easy and cheap :D

nah that doesnt work with the dewalt - the plungesaw rides on a plate which is flush to the rail all the way accross, ive tried already and the clamps jam the body of the saw

If it was my own money i'd stick the rail to a wider sheet of mdf then clamp the sheet to the work piece - but as work are paying it makes sense to get the special rail clamps and have done with it.

It may be worth bearing in mind that the deWalt rails can only be used with the deWalt clamps. From playing about I know that the Festool, Bosch and Hilti clamps are all interchangeable (between the different manufacturers rauils, that is) and AFAIK the Makita rails are compatible with the Festool guide rails so the clamps so they should also be interchangeable

Look into some sticky backed tape(Rubber type) one side sticky other side plain rubber,stick it to bottom of rail...it will not move on you then.It is kinda like router mat,used to keep the wood from running away....

Grinding One":28mhlpdi said:
Look into some sticky backed tape(Rubber type) one side sticky other side plain rubber,stick it to bottom of rail...it will not move on you then.It is kinda like router mat,used to keep the wood from running away....
Will that not lift teh edge off the wood (assuming you stick it across the whole width of the rail) reducing the ability to limit splintering and introducing some (small) element of paralax? If you don't have the mat across the whole rail it will tilt causing the cut not to be at right angles? Or am I missing something? :)

Miles

its got that on already - and on hardwoods it works tolerably well - but on sheet mdf or ply (which is principally what we cut with it) theres not enough friction and it slides about like twittery - ive got a couple of clamps on order now so the problem will shortly be solved

miles_hot":3ows7808 said:
Grinding One":3ows7808 said:
Will that not lift teh edge off the wood (assuming you stick it across the whole width of the rail) reducing the ability to limit splintering and introducing some (small) element of paralax? If you don't have the mat across the whole rail it will tilt causing the cut not to be at right angles? Or am I missing something? :)

Miles

Yes it runs the whole way(Two strips one on each side of rail) mine does not wander and stays put...kind of like rubber sole shoes ,leather ones will slide but rubber (Gummy type dig right in)you can stop so fast you could lose your balance :lol:
As far as lifting the rail up a little you just add a little more blade depth

Latest posts

Back