David Charlesworth's Chisel Hammers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Did a few courses with DC back in the day, and was wracking my mind earlier. Did he use some kind of special rounded Japanese hammer to strike wooden handled chisels with?

I can't remember why it came to mind, but putting together a new travelling tool kit and thought I'd get myself one to remember the man himself!

Any ideas?
Joe

David used a gennou in the Daruma style, which is a broad head useful for chisels. This is the upper hammer/gennou, and weighs 375 gm. The lower, smaller head, weighing 225 gm, is also made by Tenryuu. I use that one mostly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Beat me to it. That said I have always used a flat faced mallet for chisels but I guess wood on wood is a bit kinder and less likely to deflect when the contacting faces are not contacting dead on parallel.
Regards
John

The rounded face on a Japanese geno hammer is also used for compressing the fibres if your joint, say a mortice n'tenon is too tight. Give both sides of the tenon a few taps and you'll find that it will then fit - Rob

striking a nail without denting the surface of the wood
Normal hammer slightly rounded that is, as distinct from a ball pein hammer for metal work.
I use round wooden mallets for chisels. Several sizes. Hammer is too small and would wreck the chisel handles.

Normal hammer slightly rounded that is, as distinct from a ball pein hammer for metal work.
I use round wooden mallets for chisels. Several sizes. Hammer is too small and would wreck the chisel handles.
I should have been clearer. All of the genno, or Japanese hammers, usualy have a concave and a convex head. There are more types than the 2 shown above. Neither of those shown are specificaly for striking a chisel.

I should have been clearer.
All of the genno, or Japanese hammers, that I have seen have a concave and a convex face. There are more types than the 2 shown above. Neither of those shown are specificaly for striking a chisel. I guess it is a matter of personal choice which you use.
I have always been told that the convex face is for striking a NAIL below the surface without denting the surrounding wood.

Latest posts

Back