Damaged 60 1/2 block plane thread - replacement?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsjwilson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

I seem to have some how stripper the thread on my 60 1/2 block plane. Its stripped at the wider diameter bit that advances the blade.

Is it possible to get spare parts for these? Or do I need to get another?
1000021231.jpg

This is the one I was thinking of but I am now unsure if it will be the right one for your plane, let me know your sizes.

IMG_20241009_0904485.jpg

If you know the thread just search for knurled head screw. Easy if it's metric, not so much if imperial. What state is the thread it screws into?
Alternatively get a new bolt or screw with sufficient thread and just cut off the threaded part of the original, drill a suitable sized hole in the knurled top and tap it to suit then screw the new rod in with some loctite permanent.
Or take it to a local machine shop or men's shed and get a new one made.
If the thread it goes into is knackered as well then it gets more problematic. Maybe Helicoil to the nearest available metric size if it's Imperial, then getting a knurled screw to fit would be a doddle.

Last edited:
Please could you post a picture of the other parts with which the screw interfaces as well as a mockup of them assembled.

Your picture above and your written description implies there are threads of two different diameters (and possibly two different pitches on the screw). The damaged portion sure looks bigger and finer than the undamaged lower portion.

Looking around at pictures of 60 1/2 planes, I cannot find any screws that look like the one you show. If we can identify the diameter, pitch and hand of the required threads, making a replacement that screws into the knob, as suggested above, is easy.

Please could you post a picture of the other parts with which the screw interfaces as well as a mockup of them assembled.

Your picture above and your written description implies there are threads of two different diameters (and possibly two different pitches on the screw). The damaged portion sure looks bigger and finer than the undamaged lower portion.

Looking around at pictures of 60 1/2 planes, I cannot find any screws that look like the one you show. If we can identify the diameter, pitch and hand of the required threads, making a replacement that screws into the knob, as suggested above, is easy.
Good observation. I hadn't looked closely enough at the picture.
As you say it does look as though the bottom is smaller, and with a coarser pitch than the top. How odd.

Back