Crisis

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the Government is in a bit of a crisis, but do you get the feeling that everything seems to be over the top these days, like the swine flu :oops: and now the forecast of many fatalities over the next few days due to the heat. I know they have a duty to keep us informed but its a bit like the weather forecast which almost every night there is a severe warning.

Whilst watching the news last night I thought the same thing. Apparantly 160+ people have been treated for heat by St John's Ambulance at Wimbledon. Doesn't that strike you as completely bizarre ? The temperatures only reached about 24c yesterday. Have none of these people been abroad ? How on earth do they cope in Egypt? I know the majority of our weather is cold and rainy, but come on! It seems to cripple public transport too. Forget MJ, we can't even get trains to work in the sun!

I DON't BELIEVE IT!! :wink:

The fact is that we live in a cold climate with fair skin and it is dangerous to be in the sun too long. We have seen cases of skin cancer rocket and thousands died acros Europe during extreme temperatures a couple of years ago, so it is quite right to warn people.

Bloody wimps!

Currently I've got men in full chemical ( thick plastic suits that are totally impervious) suits & BA cleaning out a very dangerous "toffee like" substance using jack hammers.

I'm sweating just watching ( my job is to stop the work if I feel they are getting stressed).

When they come out they quite literally pour sweat out of their wellys!!!

Soulfly":1uejcrsj said:
The fact is that we live in a cold climate with fair skin and it is dangerous to be in the sun too long. We have seen cases of skin cancer rocket and thousands died acros Europe during extreme temperatures a couple of years ago, so it is quite right to warn people.
That's not because of our skin, that's because people are too stupid (or intentionally so) to use sunscreen. I love the sun but will burn in 10 minutes without my P20, so I always use it, simples.

Why should the news people have a duty to stop people being so effing stupid? Everyone in Britain knows, go too long in the sun without sunscreen and you will burn, so don't do it!

Too much bloody molly coddling of people in this country! Pah! ;)

I (too) DON'T BELIEEEEEEEEVE it!

lurker":yogvq7rr said:
Currently I've got men in full chemical ( thick plastic suits that are totally impervious) suits & BA cleaning out a very dangerous "toffee like" substance using jack hammers.

so you work for nestle/mars then ? - i'd always wondered how they make those hard chewy ones you get in packets of revels. :D

I recently spent a day disassembling a hung up tree while wearing full chainsaw PPE - so i can sympathise with your work force. I agree tho that the govt warnings are completely OTT "dont go out unless you have to" i mean for gods sake we arent in the sahara - yes its hot but wear sunscreen, and take plenty of water and electrolytes and you'll be fine.

Looking on the brightside the heatwave should lower the incidence of swineflu as the flu virus spreads more rapidly in cold damp conditions.

I kid you not. At the end of the news earlier they were asking for the public's suggestions to 'beat the heat' One bright spark suggested going to the SUPERMARKET!!!

](*,) ](*,)

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

Technically we live in a 'temperate' climate which results in a large delta between the lowest and highest temperatures across the seasons, albeit we don't experience the highest temperatures for very long.

C

wizer":w35iek2d said:
I kid you not. At the end of the news earlier they were asking for the public's suggestions to 'beat the heat' One bright spark suggested going to the SUPERMARKET!!!

That would be to go stand in the freezer section admiring the ice creams for a while to cool down then ;-)

I gather courtside on the big courts was in the region of 40-45 celsius, that'd give you heatstroke.

I shall be beating the heatwave tomorrow evening by going biking on Saddleworth Moor again, it was great last week. Plus as we go in the evening we can use the Pennine Way without any hassle from the Sunday red sock brigade :wink:

Hopefully your heat wave won't last too long. Last week it was nearly 100°F here with heat indices above that. Today it is 63°F.

Chris D, what's with the Bucky Badger logo?

40-45 ? Why is it that much warmer on a tennis court? It didn't get above 25 in West London

Combination of things I imagine, the way they're designed is like a cold frame with no roof (well normally...), you're enclosed with no wind, there are lots of surfaces that either reflect the sun back at you or absorb it and gradually get hotter.

You touch the surface of something that is painted black (like a car) on a sunny day and it will be much hotter than 25 C, I guarantee you will not be able to keep your hand on it or it'll burn

Ironballs":3pnr68om said:
I gather courtside on the big courts was in the region of 40-45 celsius, that'd give you heatstroke.
No Way! We would surely have heard if it was that hot. I would wager it's never reached that temp in the UK.

Wimbledon site reckons it reached 35 at courtside a couple of days ago. Don't get me wrong, that is still HOOOOOOOT, but 45 is a different ballgame.

I was in Cyprus a few years ago when it was 45C at the quay when we got back from fishing, I jumped off the boat without flip flos and burned my feet on the deck boards! That was the hottest lace I have ever been, and I've been to some hot places! :shock:

Ah, I see. It's a modification of the mascot logo for the University of Wisconsin-Madison where I went to school. I should have made the connection to Badger Hardwoods.

Wizer, the wife and myself have often headed for a supermarket if in hot climes, and oddly enough, I said things are a bit warm today," lets pop into the sm today instead of at the end of the week" (which is supposed to be cooler)

chris_d":38zoqbrm said:
Technically we live in a 'temperate' climate which results in a large delta between the lowest and highest temperatures across the seasons, albeit we don't experience the highest temperatures for very long.

C

Actually we live in an oceanic or maritime climate, in the gulf stream, which means that we have a small difference between highest and lowest temperatures across the seasons compared to those with a continental climate.

cheers
Dave

Back