Crisis

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our temperature range in the UK should be widely varying like Canada but due to the Gulf stream and the jet stream we get warm water and air dumped on us when we should be freezing so we get a nice mild annual variation.

While I have been working on my roof these last couple of weeks I have been wearing a wide brim sun hat and factor 60 sun block. I have also been taking 2-3 hours off the roof during the middle of the day and drinking lots of water. All common sense really but we seemed to have swapped that for litigation USA style.

But tomorrow I will be installing loft insulation for a client. How do I protect myself from the baking oven temperatures in the loft? I am already starting the job early and trying to finish before noon.

You've got it NT, as early as possible. Tho tomorrow is probably not the best time to do it. I'd wait til the weekend if you can. There's a difference between doing physical work in the sun (or worse a sweltering loft) and sitting on a slightly warm train for 20mins. *swoon* :roll:

wizer":nsysa8h6 said:
You've got it NT, as early as possible. Tho tomorrow is probably not the best time to do it. I'd wait til the weekend if you can. There's a difference between doing physical work in the sun (or worse a sweltering loft) and sitting on a slightly warm train for 20mins. *swoon* :roll:
The client is away this week so I have to get the loft done and also laminate flooring in the hall way before the weekend.
I would have done it sooner but the weather forecast said I would have sun on Monday and Tuesday so I set aside time to work on my roof. They lied, it's been raining so I haven't done the roof or the paid job.

I remember once rewireing a house and nearly passing out when I stuck my head in the loft, the thermometer only went to 50 deg c and it was off the scale!

wizer":3g1kcte8 said:
Whilst watching the news last night I thought the same thing. Apparantly 160+ people have been treated for heat by St John's Ambulance at Wimbledon. Doesn't that strike you as completely bizarre ? The temperatures only reached about 24c yesterday. Have none of these people been abroad ?

I DON't BELIEVE IT!! :wink:

Exactly!

In 1995 I was running some tests on a Pump Station in Nigeria. It had 5 units at 1.2 Megawatts each and running only 2, I got the temperature up to 46 C. Every time I looked down at my test data sheets my specs fell off and the sweat poured onto the sheets and blurred the ink. BUT nobody needed medical attention. I never got the chance to run 4 duty units at the same time and I've often wondered since what that would have been like! :shock: :shock:

I'm in a new office today and it's like an igloo. My nose is running it's so cold. I keep going outside to keep warm. What's that all about?

I have crossed the Sahara, the Namib desert, and the Kalahari (renamed now as the Kalgadi), but nowhere has been as hot as NW West Australia, nr the Kimberlies.

I was up there a year or two back when we bumped into a Ranger who was burning off ahead of a bushfire..........we got chatting, and he said "Oh, it's no great problem fighting fires this time of the year when its cool" .........it was 47 Celcius!!!! I've been in 55 Celcius up there.

Now that is getting warm........but it is very dry heat, so doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as, say Cameroon or the Central African Republic, where we only got into the high 30's, but with 90% plus humidity. Sticky as hell!! Your clothes are wet the minute you put them on.

BTW, don't confuse shade temperatures, which is what the weather forecasters talk of, with "in the sun" temperatures, which is what you are getting from Wimbledon.

Mike

Hottest I've been is Egypt and I absolutely loved it. Can't remember the temps. But we were leaving for the tours at 5am to beat the sun. The only time it was an issue was in Tut's tomb where I had to get out of there. It was the only one I really wanted to see too. The red sea was amazing, I never thought you could scuba like that and see such amazing marine life. Oz is high on my list (when we win the lottery).

It was hot in the loft!
Still, it's done now, with a lengthy lunch break to avoid the hottest sun. And now it rains!

Not dead or in need of A&E though. Just drank lots of water and ate muffins. :D

Latest posts

Back