Cooking oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Garner

Reaction score
Hi. Is cooking oil any good for helping to extend the life of wood? I'm not talking about furniture etc, just things like planting boxes. I was just thinking that old cooking oil might be put to good use for rough and ready jobs like this, rather than just chucking it in the bin.

What are people's thoughts.

I'd imagine the smell could be a little extreme if it went rancid?
I have used old engine oil to treat some old fence panels at the rear of my property. That worked an absolute treat.

I have used old engine oil to treat some old fence panels at the rear of my property. That worked an absolute treat.

I do that but wouldn't use it for planters etc - if it gets on any leaves etc they turn brown so I'd not want it getting into soil etc.. Also makes sure you do it after some dry days so it just soaks in to the wood. Think carefully about the environmental impact.

Re the used cooking oil - I'd guess less harm done , but less protective.

Not a very pleasant way to 'treat' wood😄

Not all cooking oils go rancid. Sunflower is recommended as a food-friendly wood finish (bowls, spoons, cups). I’ve used it with no problems. Most proprietary wood finishes are based on food oils- Tung for instance, and linseed and walnut…,

Last edited:
Not all cooking oils go rancid. Sunflower is recommended as a food-friendly wood finish (bowls, spoons, cups). I’ve used it with no problems. Most proprietary wood finishes are based on food oils- Tung for instance, and linseed and walnut…,
True, but they all either carry a notice to clean regularly and reapply. Or the contain drying agents and hardness to prevent problems.

I used olive oil on my own cutting boards, but they get cleaned often and reapplied every 2 to 3 months. I passed one on to a relative and they brought it back after 6 months as it was minging, they hadn't kept up cleaning and re oiling it.

Can't see the OP reapplying oil to planters at all.

I agree, things that are washed with soap/detergent need re-oiling frequently, but exposure to plain water will not affect oils as drastically. They will need at least an annual re-coat though, but many finishes need regular renewal. I think my point was that kitchen oils make great finishes as long as you accept their limitations. Very few go rancid, olive oil goes rancid but is the exception not the rule.

I agree, things that are washed with soap/detergent need re-oiling frequently, but exposure to plain water will not affect oils as drastically. They will need at least an annual re-coat though, but many finishes need regular renewal. I think my point was that kitchen oils make great finishes as long as you accept their limitations. Very few go rancid, olive oil goes rancid but is the exception not the rule.
Agree about the limitations entirely, and that's why I don't believe they make sense used outside on the likes of planters etc.

Latest posts

Back