Column shapes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to make a plinth / column to put a sundial on and was wondering where I could find a library of different column shapes. I think I saw a book on this years ago, but cannot remember the details. I am sure I could freestyle something, but as a society we have been designing decorative columns for more than 4000 years, so I am sure there is lots to learn from previous approaches!

As you say, columns have been designed and built for thousands of years. Commonly columns can be plain or fluted. The distinctive features are the tops or capitals. The classical capitals are the Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian. There are others, but in the Western tradition these three tend to dominate.
Good luck
D.

As you say, columns have been designed and built for thousands of years. Commonly columns can be plain or fluted. The distinctive features are the tops or capitals. The classical capitals are the Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian. There are others, but in the Western tradition these three tend to dominate.
Good luck
D.
Maybe columns is the wrong term - I was thinking along the line of the curves you get for balustrades or the central pillar for a card table.

Flutes would be fun - I have often considered a router jig for use with the lathe, but not for this project.

I have often thought it strange how hard it is to find books about shapes / form. Every novelty woodwork project under the sun has been written about, but the actual theory of design seems to be hard to come by for turning.

Maybe columns is the wrong term - I was thinking along the line of the curves you get for balustrades or the central pillar for a card table.

Flutes would be fun - I have often considered a router jig for use with the lathe, but not for this project.

I have often thought it strange how hard it is to find books about shapes / form. Every novelty woodwork project under the sun has been written about, but the actual theory of design seems to be hard to come by for turning.
Classic Forms by Stuart E Dyas is likely to provide plenty of ideas from columns, pedestals to candlesticks.

Classic Forms by Stuart E Dyas is likely to provide plenty of ideas from columns, pedestals to candlesticks.
Thanks - that is the one I was thinking of. Couldn't remember the name. Now just to find a copy - not sure I fancy taking a risk with an eBay seller with an 11% positive rating!

Alex
There’s one on eBay - brand new hardback at £31.62
Get in there!
That is the 11% positive seller I think! Maybe I should risk it as it is the book I was thinking of and i am curious about what someone can do to manage such an incredibly bad eBay rating...

There's masses of design stuff out there you just have to search better.
Google "books about shapes and forms" and you get this lot:
https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...EAHYVgLj0Q0pQJegQIEhAB&biw=1265&bih=654&dpr=2
I would suggest that particular Google search backs up my assertion it is easier to find books along the lines of 1001 woodworking novelties than practical usage of elegance and design. I do like the look of the one about pairing pasta shapes with the correct sauce though.

I would suggest that particular Google search backs up my assertion it is easier to find books along the lines of 1001 woodworking novelties than practical usage of elegance and design. I do like the look of the one about pairing pasta shapes with the correct sauce though.
OK try googling design in wood or just design books.
You get what you ask for and "design" is a major topic, but "shape and form" is too vague, not least because everything has shape and form.
Principles of design ?
Or your own expression "practical usage of elegance and design" books.
Endless possibilities and has been written about since the middle ages.
I do like the look of the one about pairing pasta shapes with the correct sauce though.
Well you've got to start somewhere!

Last edited:

George Walker has a good video on classical design on the Lie-Nielsen website.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product...home-education-videos-george-walker&node=4251

If you are looking for profiles, "Shapes for Woodturners" by David Weldon takes some beating - you can pick up a copy for as little as £3.50 (Abe Books and eBat are good places to start) ...
Excellent suggestion - thank you. Cheap and from a seller with a >99% rating. Ordered.

Latest posts

Back