Coloured hard wax oil base coat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danmickread

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have 5 ltrs of Marldon ultra matt hard wax oil that I got left over from a job a few years ago and would like to make use of it on some hardwood ply. I would like to add a black base coat first, marldon do an ebony coloured hard wax oil but it's so expensive so wanted to know if I can use any brand of coloured hard wax oil for my first coat under the Marldon or can there be compatability issues? This will allow me to shop around to find the colour that I would like.

Are there any alternatives to using a coloured hard wax oil as a base like a stain? I read that stains don't allow the hard wax oil top coats to sink into the wood properly.

Thanks in advance
Dan

Good evening all,

I have 5 ltrs of Marldon ultra matt hard wax oil that I got left over from a job a few years ago and would like to make use of it on some hardwood ply. I would like to add a black base coat first, marldon do an ebony coloured hard wax oil but it's so expensive so wanted to know if I can use any brand of coloured hard wax oil for my first coat under the Marldon or can there be compatability issues? This will allow me to shop around to find the colour that I would like.

Are there any alternatives to using a coloured hard wax oil as a base like a stain? I read that stains don't allow the hard wax oil top coats to sink into the wood properly.

Thanks in advance
Dan
They do sell tints for hard wax oils!

Attachments

• 15207128-0354-467C-8857-78971357DCE6.png
    15207128-0354-467C-8857-78971357DCE6.png
    702.2 KB

Latest posts

Back