Cleaning up a Coronet Major

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitted a new drive belt yesterday, a more modern version of the segmented belt. However, the ½" that everyone seems to sell looks to be too big and doesn't sit down into the pulleys well enough and also rubs on the casting below it. Now have to try and find another one that's thinner, does anyone have a source for that, otherwise I'll have to take the lathe apart to fit a continuous belt.

IMG_5563.jpeg

Bought a correctly sized belt and fitted it, runs much more quietly now.

IMG_5756.jpeg

Had a couple of great chats with Derek Pyatt, the guru of all things Coronet who provided the thread protector, a cover for the planer, a proper manual for the lathe and information on how to adjust the play out of the bearing, which I've done. Running smoothly now.

Latest little update: a three jaw chuck came with the lathe which is, as far as I remember from my school engineering class, more of a metalworking chuck. Is the reason not to use a metal chuck for woodworking due to the shape of the jaws for holding a tenon on a bowl?

It's a Beco 5" model. I cleaned it up and it works just fine and might be exactly what I need for holding things like mandrels for polishing mops or sanding plates mounted on all thread or a cut down bolt if I reverse the jaws on it.

IMG_5791.jpeg

Funnily enough, back in the distant past, before the days of dedicated wood turning chucks, Axminster used to sell 4-jaw, metal-working chucks for wood turning. From time-to-time, I still use the one supplied by them which has both sets of jaws.

I note your 3-jaw chuck has an outside gripping set in place.. I usually have the inside gripping ones fitted which I do in fact use to grip the outside of the stock. This gives a longer jaw and because it is ribbed and comes to a 90 degree angle,it digs in and holds the work firmly. Of course, the downside to using these chucks is not to get your knuckles too close to the spinning jaws, especially if they are protruding past the body of the chuck.

Great job so far @justinpeer Looks well.
BTW, what paste wax did you use on the bar/bed?
TIA.

Back