Chimney style cooker hood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a stainless steel chimney hood to fit at home, which I thought would be pretty straightforward. It has come with a paper template for mounting it on the wall but little or no info on ducting the air out. The hood is to be on an internal stud wall and the ducting has to go to the left, as you look at the hood on the wall. I was planning to use flat channel ducting to run along the top of the wall units with a bridging piece around the chimney to hide the duct. Do I simply need to make a cut-out in the side of the chimney for the duct to pass through and if so how? Hacksaw, tin-snips, angle grinder? Anyone fitted one of these? Any advice welcome before I make an expensive botch of it.

The one i fitted came from wikes round outlet got ducting from toolstation there is round to flat with 90 turn fitting. The s/steel c section duct had to be cut for plastic duct to exit i ran p/duct along ceiling but watch out for lintles going through the wall.

I thought you weren't supposed to use plastic duct for cooker extraction? Maybe I'm wrong though. Am I?

Ike :?

Hi George

The stainless they make these babies out of is wafer thin so I've found that hacksaws, angle grinders and tin snips make a horrible mess of them (playing around with a "freebie" dented one I was given I hasten to add). Have you not thought about asking a local sheet metal fabricator to cut it for you? I have a company across the road who do that sort of thing using a nibbler and the results I've had to date have been quite good. As to the ducting I thought that you have to use the aluminised stuff because of the risk of fire - that's certainly what the OEMs supply in their kits (at least the few I've seen).

Scrit

OLD":2t5dqcjd said:
The one i fitted came from wikes round outlet got ducting from toolstation there is round to flat with 90 turn fitting. The s/steel c section duct had to be cut for plastic duct to exit i ran p/duct along ceiling but watch out for lintles going through the wall.

How did you cut the s/steel?

Kits for cooker extraction that I've seen commonly have square section plastic ducting.

If you are having a bridging piece at the same level as the cabinet tops just drill a hole in the bridging and put a right angle round to flat adaptoron it, may need a bit of flexi down to the fan outlet. no need to cut the stainless then.

Jason

jasonB":8xq165qv said:
If you are having a bridging piece at the same level as the cabinet tops just drill a hole in the bridging and put a right angle round to flat adaptoron it, may need a bit of flexi down to the fan outlet. no need to cut the stainless then.

Jason

Jason, you're probably right and I'm looking for a problem where none exists. I had just envisaged the S/S chimney going all the way to the ceiling. As there won't be a lot of space between the cabinet tops and ceiling I might just stop the chimney at the bridging piece.

Back