Charity Shop finds.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Yellow_Ardvark

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCN3913.JPG

Tidy small vice.

DSCN3912.JPG

A rusty plane.

DSCN3915.JPG

A bubble stick.

A set of cooking pots.

DSCN3899.JPG

DSCN3900.JPG

£10.

The cooking pots were probably for camping; easier to fit into the boot, along with tent, blankets/sleeping bags, etc., than individual pots.

I'll be interested to see that little plane when you clean it up; does it use a razor-type blade?

And that brass-bound level is lovely. Is it accurate?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The pots all nestle into one.

The plane is going to Men In Sheds. When it is restored I will post it it here, you will get first refusal.

The bubble stick is spot on.

It's a 'Spirit Level' !
Why I queered 'having a laugh' ?? when I started out as a lad the old joiner I talked two had one just like it and he too called it a "bubble stick" he also had a small spirit level with a pocket clip on he never went anywhere without it, I inherited them both when he passed, along with all his tools.
Most of the hand tools are Ebony.

IMG_20240817_1428314.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread just had to ask why.

I have two bubble sticks though I haven't heard them called that before. The 8" one I bought in my youff; the 6" I inherited from my father. I still use them occasionally though they are difficult if you can't look at them from above. They look just like the one in the first set of photos.

I'll be interested to see that little plane when you clean it up; does it use a razor-type blade?

Its a stanly rb something 8 or 10 o forget. It uses disposable special blades. You got different cambers and stuff. Or you could get a kit to tae a more traditional t shaped rebate blade. It came with a parrallel guide.

Very much a diyer aimed tool but mine is hefty and often think with a proper blade its probably a pretty useful step up from a fillister plane. But effort... So its still in the box 🤣

Today's car boot bargains. £2 for the small glue pot and spokeshave. £4 for the imperial hole punch set. They are now soaking in vinegar.

20240821_085638[1].jpg

The Badger airbrush was a previous bargain a month back. The whole boxed kit was £15 knocked down from £20.

Do you soak it in vinegar straight from the container or do you also add something to it?
How long did the tools soak for? Good result.
I soak them in vinegar and baking soda. I left them in there for around two hours. Most of the rust will then wipe off then I wash them under a tap. I use a wire wheel then a medium grit fibre wheel on one of my bench grinders. The punches can be chucked up to be sharpened with a diamond file on the lathe. Finished off with my manky, oily rag.

Wow that's brilliant if that's the result simply after soaking in vinegar and I guess a little wire brushing. I'll have to give it a go.
I soak them in vinegar and baking soda. I left them in there for around two hours. Most of the rust will then wipe off then I wash them under a tap. I use a wire wheel and then a medium grit fibre wheel on one of my bench grinders. The punches can be chucked up to be sharpened with a diamond file on the lathe. Finished off with my manky, oily rag. The glue pot is finished with linseed oil,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back