Centre Bits & Wood Turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody use a centre bit when drilling wood on the lathe? If so what are the benefits?
I was watching a YouTube clip and the demonstrator used a centre bit before drilling the full size hole in his project. I had never heard of a centre bit and from my subsequent and limited investigations they seem to be more for use in metal work.
I cannot see the value in having to change bits in order to drill a hole, especially if you are going to turn the wood to round using the hole for your live centre. I have not encountered drilling problems making tool handles, pepper mills, table lamps and the like. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

I sometimes use one when I am drilling 'soft' wood, especially spalted wood when making pens. They do give a very good and accurate start point.

I got mine off the inevitable 'Bay for a reasonable price knowing I would not be drilling metal!

Phil

I use centre / Slocombe, bits, just to be sure, to be sure. :giggle: The two advantages they have are their shortness ( they don't poke too far out of the chuck), and their strength ( they are a lot less likely to break)

twist drills tend to drift and can follow the grain if you're not careful. Using a centre drill first ensures the drill is starting on centre and using one improves the odds of the hole being drilled concentric. It takes a little longer but worth it where accuracy matters.

+1 for centre bit - not always but if I need accurate concentric hole, particularly if it’s a small hole when the thinner drill bit tends to flex a little more.
Also Brad point bits can help starting on centre.
Another trick is to use a small gouge to start the hole.

+1 for HamsterJam's points above.
Another wood turner, who was also an engineer, told me that as long as the centre cone that you cut with a gouge is larger than the diameter of the drill it will always self centre

Back