cabinet makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie01

Reaction score
not sure if ive put this in the correct place, i am wanting to know if cabinet/furnature making is stil a good career to be in i know there are quite a few on here an thought this would be best place to ask i love working with wood and realy would enjoy this thankyou jamie

Probably the best career to get into in these times, is Undertaking! certainly no lack of customers :roll: :roll: :roll:

John. B

Funnily enough near me there is a place called Cockerham, which has an undertaker who is also a joiner - not only can you send off your nearest and dearest you can have a new set of windows done at the same time!! :lol:

Well I would say yes. Its was very quite for us most of the year but has really picked up over the last month and now we are stacked out with work. That seems to be same same with most workshops (joiners and cabinet makers) that I know.

Go for it its a great career.

dchallender":28it533t said:
Funnily enough near me there is a place called Cockerham, which has an undertaker who is also a joiner - not only can you send off your nearest and dearest you can have a new set of windows done at the same time!! :lol:

I think I may have known his father when we lived there! But it was always traditional for village joiners/wheelwrights to be coffin makers. As you say, should have ensured a reliable living :)

jamie01":ktymwhbz said:
cabinet/furnature making is stil a good career to be in jamie

I think its extremely poorly paid, you will always be on a lot less money than your friends who become plumbers or electricians etc, however if you are prepared to take a few risks and become your own boss then your salary is limited only by your business abilities.

I do think it's a very rewarding career and far more skilful than a lot of other trades, I honestly believe you need some natural ability though, I've seen fellas train for years who are rubbish and will always be rubbish however hard they try.

The Doc's said it.

Aquire the right skills and experience working for someone else and then there is a good living to be made as a self employed cabinet maker, so long as you are not too precious about the kind of work you want to do.

Having said that, my 26 year-old stepson got a job with a big cabinetmaking firm after I trained him up. He is now the foreman, and earning £35k+.

It wouldn't surprise me though, if he phoned me one day and asked for advice on setting up on his own...

...daft pipper!

jamie01":30gnjb6i said:
i know there are quite a few on here an thought this would be best place to ask

just to correct a possible misaprehension - the cabinet maker, furniture maker etc under our names - thats not our proffesion its a post count thing ;)

Back