Buying advice: Lunchbox Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city17

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a lunchbox thicknesser.

Used to own an Elektra Beckum HC260 which worked fine, but it took up too much space and converting it from planing to thicknessing was also a bit of a hassle. But I'm missing a thicknesser in my workshop, so have been looking at some lunchbox models that I can store under the bench. I'll do initial flattening by hand.

I've narrowed down my search to two machines:
- Makita 2012NB (€660 shipped)
- IGM PS33 (€1000-1050 shipped)

Benefits of the Makita: Small, lighter, 10+db quieter, good build quality (mostly metal), proven design.
Benefits of IGM PS33: True spiral cutterhead, slightly wider capacity, no need to buy replacement blades for a long time, better cut quality.

I quite like the idea of having a spiral cutterhead, but not sure it's worth the upgrade cost. Plus the IGM PS33 is heavier and larger, meaning more work to carry around the garage. Also like the much lower noise of the Makita, but with the spiral cutters being quieter, maybe the difference under load isn't that pronounced?

Another thing is that the PS33 has an included blower fan, so there's no absolute need for an external dust extractor. With the Makita I'd have to either get a cyclone between my vacuum, or get something like a CamVac (taking up extra space as well) which brings the cost right back to the level of the IGM PS33.

Was wondering if there's anything I'm overlooking, or things I need to consider? Any advice is much appreciated!

What size Camvac would work best for this type of thicknesser? Would the smallest one work? Given that this is the only machine I'd really use it with and I won't be doing any kind of production work.

Back