Budget board stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throbscottle

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to divide our double garage across-ways so the back of it can be a utility room and the front can be my workshop. I'd like the divider to be non-permanent, so it's just held up by some brackets at either end, in case it needs to be moved or removed (also needs to fit around the electric door mechanism). Will have a doorway in it.
I will doubtless want to screw stuff to it!
What's the cheapest material which is up to the job? OSB?

By non-permanent, do you mean not fixed to floor, walls or ceiling in any way?

Kingspan is wonderfully stiff, if it were me I think I would wrap a timber frame around bits of it and make up some bifold doors? You could inset wheels in the bottom.

Would have to be attached or it would fall over! But I'm thinking 3 or 4 brackets on each side, and screws. Maybe some sort of fluffy dust barrier round the edges
If your going for brackets and OSB im not sure how stable it would be for a door and for hanging your tools on, as the brackets will be subject to all the weight of anything you hang on it.
That type of temp wall might be fine without a doorway or stuff hanging off it, but wouldn't trust a single skin, 3/4 osb board, plus tools etc and maybe a door all swinging off 3 or 4 brackets.

I'd just go for building a stud wall, all screwed not nailed, from CLS, clad one side in osb, stuff insulation in and board the other side in plasterboard, thin ply or even hardboard at a push.

Easy to dismantle when done.
Done that in a couple of garages before, half a days work if your handy at diy, and under and hour to dismantle.

Back