BOXFORD UNION PD4 BENCH PILLAR DRILL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Jones

Reaction score
Hi there, I need a bit of help.
I bought a 3 phase BOXFORD UNION PD4 BENCH PILLAR DRILL and have replaced the motor with the correct single phase motor so I can run it a home. It runs perfectly for about 3 minutes before it "trips out". If I just leave it for a few minutes it will start and run again for another 3 minutes. It will do this repeatedly. It feels to me like some sort of thermal cut-out but I really don't know.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Have to changed the thermal cut out for one of the correct rating to suit the motor which will take much more current than the old one took?

MM

Hi Pete

I have just bought a similar drill, it doesnt say on it, but from what i can gather from photos I think it is a PD4. It is 3-phase, so I either need to swap over the motor or get an inverter. Would you be able to tell me what motor you got for yours, and where from, and did you sort out the problem with it tripping?

If anyone else can give me some advice on replacing the motor with a single phase unit, or setting up with an inverter, I would be really grateful, as I am new to all of this.

Attached a piccie of the machine, and the label on the motor

Many thanks

Andrew

$_57 (8).JPG
$_57 (1).JPG

Attachments

• $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 322
  • $_57 (8).JPG
    $_57 (8).JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 320
Drills of that size will usually run happily on a half-horse motor, so any single phase motor of appropriate speed and physical size should be OK. Try Gumtree or local free ads if you are happy with secondhand. (IMHO, you'll get better quality that way too!)

I'd go for an inverter. Once you have used a drill with variable speed control you will never want to go back to stepped belt speed change.
The motor is dual voltage so perfect for an inverter. Make sure you use a sensorless vector type for best torque at low inverter settings.

Hi dickm and Myfordman, thanks both for your responses. I'm taking the motor apart to clean it out (full of sawdust) and it seems to be a really good quality bit of kit.

If i go down the inverter route, I have realised that you then dont use the original switchgear - so I guess this is why you see old machines with new looking start-stops on it.

Drivesdirect seem quite highly thought of by people, so i could go for something like their standard or advanced inverters, at about 100 or 250 pounds respectively.

If i wanted a cheaper and more simple setup then swapping the motor out for a single phase unit seems a good option, with a standard on/off remote. With this, I wouldnt get the variable control though, would I, so would need to use the pulleys?

Any comments welcome, many thanks, Andrew

Pete,

Did you replace the switch gear as well? Does the motor get hot?

Andrew,

The inverter route is the best, this model is worth considering, I've got the bigger version on my planer and i'm very happy with it.

https://www.inverterdrive.com/group/AC- ... P2-MDA-7P/

The switch gear will become redundant, all you will require are on and off momentary switches which will require wiring using the triple wire method. Hopefully you'd be able to house the switches within the existing enclosure. You'll then have the hide the inverter out of the way somewhere.

Hi Andy RV

Thanks, i've been in touch with the inverterdrive people, they seem pretty helpful, have sent them a photo of the motor name plate so they can recommend a setup. I guess i need to think of it as a new motor and control setup, rather than just a new motor.

Latest posts

Back