Bosch GCM 12 axial glide Mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have replaced my older Bosch 12 inch mitre saw for one of these, still 110 volt and nothing wrong with my old saw but looking to rearrange the workshop and wanted a saw that could sit close to the wall without the rails sticking out the back. Looked at several different saws but decided it is time for those rails to go and did not want them sticking out anywhere and this Bosch saw is the only one using this hinged system so made the decision easier. First impressions are that it really is a glide saw, the movement is so smooth and easy with no real effort. First thing I did not really like was the trigger, you now have this interlock which is more fumbly than my previous saw but will see how it goes. As expected from reviews and others the laser is just a let down so have got a shaddow line coming to replace it which by all accounts is much clearer like the Dewalt. I am yet to judge dust extraction but am not expecting miracles as my last saw was always messy but now I can at least put a shield up at the back as there are no rails to accomodate and this might help somewhat. Any further info I will post.

I have replaced my older Bosch 12 inch mitre saw for one of these, still 110 volt and nothing wrong with my old saw but looking to rearrange the workshop and wanted a saw that could sit close to the wall without the rails sticking out the back. Looked at several different saws but decided it is time for those rails to go and did not want them sticking out anywhere and this Bosch saw is the only one using this hinged system so made the decision easier. First impressions are that it really is a glide saw, the movement is so smooth and easy with no real effort. First thing I did not really like was the trigger, you now have this interlock which is more fumbly than my previous saw but will see how it goes. As expected from reviews and others the laser is just a let down so have got a shaddow line coming to replace it which by all accounts is much clearer like the Dewalt. I am yet to judge dust extraction but am not expecting miracles as my last saw was always messy but now I can at least put a shield up at the back as there are no rails to accomodate and this might help somewhat. Any further info I will post.
Nice, I very nearly bought one of those as well mainly because I really liked the glidey motion of it.
In the end I could not get on with the horizontal handle and the way the safetey catch thingy works. This is just personal as some hate the vertical handles like on mine. I have seen some people make extra little dust scoops like on the kapex. The thing is even on the kapex it is not amazing if you use a sub fence.

Ollie

In the end I could not get on with the horizontal handle and the way the safetey catch thingy works
I am lucky in that I like the horizontal handle, on my old Bosch the handle could be rotated to vertical or horizontal and having tried both the horizontal felt better because it is in the same plane as your wrist. The safety catch is more of an issue and I am yet to see whether I grow into it or out of favour with it.

My next task is to make a zero clearance insert for it and maybe a zero clearance fence and as for dust I have seen these tent structures which might be a good idea.

I sometimes use a quick zero clearance fence on my mitre saw if I'm cutting short pieces but have never used a zero clearance insert.

There shouldn't be a problem with chip out on the underside so is it to stop small off cuts falling between the blade and the throat plate?

My saw does get tilted over for bevel cuts quite often which would mean swapping out the ZCI every time, that alone puts me off.

What advantages do you think a ZCI will have, only asking in case I'm missing something?

I have experienced some chipping when cutting and when I fitted a dummy fence with no clearance it reduced this chip out on the back face. My logic was that if the insert was also zero clearance then the chip out should be minimal. I have tried various blades, Bosch,

Walker https://walkertools.co.uk/product-category/circular-saw-blades/

and these https://www.sheffsaws.com/industrial-quality-tct-circular-saw-blades .

The other stuff you see is this tape which I am not sure about

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/fastcap-zero-clearance-tape/

The other thoughts are that a tracksaw with the rubber strip also prevents this chip out so I don't really have anything to lose just trying it out as if the edges are fully supported it must give some benefit.

I have experienced some chipping when cutting and when I fitted a dummy fence with no clearance it reduced this chip out on the back face. My logic was that if the insert was also zero clearance then the chip out should be minimal. I have tried various blades, Bosch,

Walker https://walkertools.co.uk/product-category/circular-saw-blades/

and these https://www.sheffsaws.com/industrial-quality-tct-circular-saw-blades .

The other stuff you see is this tape which I am not sure about

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/fastcap-zero-clearance-tape/

The other thoughts are that a tracksaw with the rubber strip also prevents this chip out so I don't really have anything to lose just trying it out as if the edges are fully supported it must give some benefit.
I just use wide masking tape to get a zero clearance insert and replace as necessary after bevel cuts or wear and tear. Cheap and cheerful, works great for me! Still use a dummy fence though as tape ceases to work once you make the first cut ;-).

Well I have fitted a shadow line to the saw and it is so much better, supplied by @Westy619 . The blade shadow is cast onto the workpiece rather than the two laser lines so it is clear where the cut is going to be. The Bosch laser module is just not a patch on having the shadow line so a worthwhile upgrade, not a modification because nothing has been modified or altered in the process of fitment.

So here is the latest , dust extraction is worse than my previous bosch saw and this might be because the new glide has a plastic dust collector with a 90° elbow on it that is just fitted like an after thought and is rather hit and miss. The old saw had dust collection from a fitting on the blade cover and even when the hose was not connected to the extractor it still filled with sawdust that was thrown into it by the blade. Because this saw can be close to the wall and needs no rear space I have a higher back cover on my mitre saw bench which had to be much lower on the old one to clear the rails and it helps but I need to improve dust extraction so any ideas welcome.

Back