Blade length?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Idling through some marquetry-related stuff I've kept over the years, I came across some plans for a scaled-down chevalet.
I'd obviously considered having a crack at building it, but had soon realised that it was probably beyond my skill level, and it became buried.
I remember I did think of farming the job out to a local carpenter to at least cut the parts, but then....er...didn't.
Anyway, there's no fool like an old fool, so I gave it another eyeball last night...and spotted something.
The plans utilise (jewellers) blades of 6".
I thought all were around 5? All my current batch are...

I can just think of me back-slapping myself on completion, and then finding that all my blades are an inch too short! :LOL:

The context tells me that you are probably referring to a cutting rig of sorts - hence concerns over the blade length. But what I imagine from your use of the word 'Chevalet' is an easel.:unsure:

The context tells me that you are probably referring to a cutting rig of sorts - hence concerns over the blade length. But what I imagine from your use of the word 'Chevalet' is an easel.:unsure:

Correct - it's a "cut down" version of a Marquetry "Donkey", a very strange looking scroll/fret saw!

Correct - it's a "cut down" version of a Marquetry "Donkey", a very strange looking scroll/fret saw!
Ah... so this, or similar, could well have been the sort of thing used for cutting out the intarsia work of a certain furniture maker, by the name of "Monsieur Boulle". :giggle: .

The American School of marquetry, https://americanschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/WPASFM/ , may be of interest. Especially the images which include, " "chevalet de marqueterie” (Marquetry Easel for Painting in Wood), or cutting horse". Plans seem to be available, but then you have some.
The frame, of the saw itself, looks as if it could readily be altered to take shorter blades. From here just shortening one piece of wood should sort the job out.
An alternative may be a blade to suit the "Pegas Scroll Band Saw", although such a blade may be somewhat course for true marquetry. Armed with a pair of pliers almost any length could be cut.
The sticky at the beginning of this section on Blades may give you another possible source.

Hve fun,
geoff

Drifting through my, Oh too many computer files, I came across this. Showing the work of conservation on/of a Boule cabinet.
Of particular interest is a brief glimpse of a chevalet in action at around 3m 30s.
geoff

Back