Best finish for a table in Swiss Pear?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm dangerously close to completing a project made in Swiss Pear and need to think about finish.
It's a table for my son to go in the kitchen/diner of his new house.
The wood has wonderful colour and grain when wetted with isopropanol, so it would be good to bring that out. It's going to get used a lot, so a high gloss finish isn't optimal.
Osmo top oil is my usual go to. What do you think?

Teeny bump...it's ready to oil but I want to get it right!
Also, should I dampen and sand at 240 first to raise the grain and smooth off?

Thanks

I made a TV unit recently out of some beech I thought had surprisingly nice grain when wetted and osmo made it disappointingly flat. Tung oil brought the chatoyance out a lot better.

Teeny bump...it's ready to oil but I want to get it right!
Also, should I dampen and sand at 240 first to raise the grain and smooth off?

Thanks
I’d only raise the grain and sand off if I was using a water based finish.

Do you have some offcuts you can test on? If not I’ve done a first coat on the underside first to check I like a finish.

Hi all

I'm dangerously close to completing a project made in Swiss Pear and need to think about finish.
It's a table for my son to go in the kitchen/diner of his new house.
The wood has wonderful colour and grain when wetted with isopropanol, so it would be good to bring that out. It's going to get used a lot, so a high gloss finish isn't optimal.
Osmo top oil is my usual go to. What do you think?
If you can get the Osmo Top Oil to work then that will give the best durability. From what I recall though, on harder and denser wood species Osmo usually recommend their Wood Wax Finish Extra Thin product.

If you can get the Osmo Top Oil to work then that will give the best durability. From what I recall though, on harder and denser wood species Osmo usually recommend their Wood Wax Finish Extra Thin product.
Thanks all.

The extra thin seems to be for oily woods. I'll do a test on one of the offcuts and see what it all looks like. Just nervous about messing up at the finish!

Latest posts

Back