Bandsaw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakespeare

Established Member
Reaction score
Just broken my 1st bandsaw blade, a Dragon, so have been trying to get in touch with them to get some more, but can't seem to get through " sorry, number has not been recognized" , does anyone have the new number, or are they now out of business. If this is the case, can anyone advise on good bandsaw blades, that won't break the bank.

Much appreciated

Baz

A victim of the recession I'm afraid Baz, they went to the wall earlier this year and lamented by all concerned.

There are a number of decent alternatives though, Axminster's blades aren't terrible by any means, so that's a reasonable starting point. There'll be loads more recommendations to come shortly I'm sure, but if your broken one is one of Dragon's famed M42 blades expect to pay substantially more for a similar offering elsewhere.

Many thanks for that Mark, it did sort of cross my mind when I couldn't get through, oh well, back to the drawing board then eh.

Baz

Axminster Axcalibur blades are now very good (they have a new state of the art blade welder) and they also do M42 blades...but at a price :shock: - Rob

I was in exactly the same position as you Baz. And yes, it was an M42 :(. I've given up on the M42 bit and bought a couple of standard carbon steel ones from EPS via Matthew at Workshop Heaven. Only tried the 4tpi skip so far, but it's a clean cut, zero drift. Ordered Sunday, received by post the following Friday.

Boz

Or just go to an engineering supplier, where an HSS bi-metallic blade won't have the mystical awe factor it seems to have engendered on this site (with the inflated price tags to suit).

Thanks to all for your input, really appreciated. It seems like Axminster may be the way to go, so I think I'll give them a chance.

Baz

Is Colin still woodworking Baz? Not heard from him in a while.

That is a great tip Chas - I live in Ross and never knew they existed!

Where in the Cotswolds are you? I used to live in Chalford Hill, between Stroud and Cirencester and have many fond memories of enjoying the countryside there.

Thanks,
C

chris_d":126k2bxy said:
Chalford Hill, between Stroud and Cirencester and have many fond memories of enjoying the countryside there.

Thanks,
C

I liked it too!

Particularly when George Reynolds owned St. Mary's Mill ( the Walking Stick factory) and had the most amazing collection of Tractors and Stationary Oil Engines. It also had a Tangye Belfast Compund steam engine and the original water wheel. The water wheel was interesting - it had teeth on the main drive output cog made of apple. I can't remember what wood the main wheel was made of but all the other wetted parts (stop logs etc.) were of Elm.

Dear Oh Dear, Nostalgia ain't what it was! :D

Hello Wizer,
I think you'll find Colin has been doing a lot decorating and remodeling in his house,among other things, like work etc. As far as all out woodwork is concerned, I think he's having a rest from it for a while, but I reckon he'll be back again.

Baz

Aye Wizer, I'm still about, I read the forum now and then, but haven't done any real woodworking for a few months while I concentrate on getting stuff in the house finished.

Also, all my disposable cash is being reprioritised, so I can't invest in wood/tools for a while, but eventually I should get back into the hobby.

Latest posts

Back