Bandsaw blades- what to do with snapped ones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeenToLearn

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of old bandsaw blades that snapped/ weld gave way; what do other people do with them please? Ideas for repurposing?

they can be repurposed

Frame saw as mentioned
Mount strips in a handle to make a Polishing mop rake
Used as steel stock for blades in cutting gauges, marking knives, shims etc

Used to practice resharpening using a mounted stone in a rotary tool

etc etc

Tweezers are always one of the suggestions but it'll need a good amount of grinding to remove the teeth and shape, mostly it is hacksaw blades. I'd always keep a couple of lengths in raw form - how long depends on what you can easily store without it getting in the way - you never know when you'll need a random piece of steel with just those properties.

But then again, I am a hopeless hoarder and could probably junk half of my good supplies/useless junk with no impact whatsoever. Problem is it's like advertising, I don't know which half.

Cut a length off, wrap duct tape as a handle and you have a flexible flush cut saw, or add a wood handle.
Also great for getting into tight areas.
I wouldn't make a flush cut saw out of a section of bandsaw blade unless I could remove the set from one side of the teeth.

I used to make pressure boards with my old blades - snap them to suitable lengths and make multiple half depth angled cuts into two timber strips and assemble -PVA glue seems to hold them well.
I used to use these as hold-down pressure plates on table saw, spindle or anything else requiring an even pressure. A little wax can help things slide smoothly and the upside is it keeps your hands away from the tooling and also encourages you to use push-sticks since the pressure board gets in the way!
Only downside is they are a bit tricky to initially set up - a) to get the correct pressure applied to the workpiece and b) clearance from the tooling when no workpiece is under them...
When I built my workbench I also used them to provide a friction stop to all the bench-dogs you can put a sharp but shallow bend in them such that the short end can be drilled to accept a small affixing screw and the bend-out is sufficient to hold the dog at whatever the desired height

Latest posts

Back