Baking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
No baking posts for a while, has everyone given it up? First proving nine hours in the fridge, second proving seven hours at room temperature. The first time I've done it that way around.
DSC_0000311.jpg

That looks tasty, but life is just too short to wait that long. :LOL: I've regularly used a bread maker over the last 15 years. It takes 3 hours 15 mins. Now that, I can cope with.

Takes approximately 30seconds to collect the bread from the Tesco delivery driver at the front door.

Been doing sourdough for the last 10 years or so - feed the starter the night before, make dough at 8, knock back at 12, bake at 3 (approx) all room temperature - easy! Cheap too, which was the initial attraction for me, the only thing I need to buy is flour in bulk...

I buy Malthouse Light flour from Shipton Mill 16kg for £14.00.
3 cups flour, 1.5 cups water, 1/2 TSP yeast, 1/2 TSP salt. In the breadmaker, wholewheat rapid setting, ready in 3 hours.
I do, however, like my bread like I like my women. Dark and dense.

No baking posts for a while, has everyone given it up? First proving nine hours in the fridge, second proving seven hours at room temperature. The first time I've done it that way around.
That looks like a perfect loaf, and I bet it tastes amazing.

I am not that patient, or that much of a 'bready'. My routine is mix, wait for it to rise, turn it out onto 'baking parchment' (good old grease-proofed paper), bung it in the oven in a 'dutch oven'.
Time expended doing it ~ 10 minutes. Time to produce 1 .. 3 hours. Best bread I have made - and that includes all the pfaffing in my 'bread maker' days.

Here is one I made earlier - weird shape as my 'dutch oven' is actually a cauldron-shaped potje (that I never got round to converting to a fire-basket).
bread.jpeg

Been doing sourdough for the last 10 years or so - feed the starter the night before, make dough at 8, knock back at 12, bake at 3 (approx) all room temperature - easy! Cheap too, which was the initial attraction for me, the only thing I need to buy is flour in bulk...
I've tried probably 30+ times over the years without any success. I've tried my own cultures, I've been given cultures, I've bought cultures. I seem to have the kiss of death with them.

I
That looks like a perfect loaf, and I bet it tastes amazing.

I am not that patient, or that much of a 'bready'. My routine is mix, wait for it to rise, turn it out onto 'baking parchment' (good old grease-proofed paper), bung it in the oven in a 'dutch oven'.
Time expended doing it ~ 10 minutes. Time to produce 1 .. 3 hours. Best bread I have made - and that includes all the pfaffing in my 'bread maker' days.

Here is one I made earlier - weird shape as my 'dutch oven' is actually a cauldron-shaped potje (that I never got round to converting to a fire-basket).
View attachment 186229
I do the greaseproof paper/Dutch oven(Le creuset casserole) thing from time to time, but the lazy person in me loves the bread maker approach.
Sourdough? I can get the culture going with no problem, I never get the oven spring. I could bake perfect serviceable discuses, if there was a bread based Olympics event.

I
I do the greaseproof paper/Dutch oven(Le creuset casserole) thing from time to time, but the lazy person in me loves the bread maker approach.
Sourdough? I can get the culture going with no problem, I never get the oven spring. I could bake perfect serviceable discuses, if there was a bread based Olympics event.
Do you slash the top of the loaf before baking?

Closest I've come to making bread is making twists for the campfire.

Simply mix self raising and water out the stream, a pinch of salt and mix until stiff enough to twist wrap around a stick, then placed over the fire to cook

I'm a bread maker guy. Tesco sourdough mix, add a dozen chopped dried apricots and a quarter teaspoon of fennel seeds and three hours later a great tasting loaf. Or a Waitrose bread mix with half teaspoon of thyme otherwise it's pretty bland.

Latest posts

Back