AXMINSTER Workshop AW1950B Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisB

Reaction score
I’m looking for a decent yet compact bandsaw for a small workshop. I came across this which looks great. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using it.

Thanks

It really depends on knowing what your cutting to make a judgement on it.

Save up your pennies and get a larger model. That one is the 10"

For bandsaws its really about depth of cut and 135mm is not really that much(in bandsaw world) It's a very versatile bit of kit, for deep ripping, cutting veneers and the like, and you do limit yourself at only 5"

I've a record power 10" B/saw of the same specs, and the 125mm is really no good, though that said it has lasted me a good number of years of home workshop use(although at the time i did also have access to larger 24" saws) but in home use it was ok, but i did find myself wishing I'd bought a bigger saw like the 14"
But even going up to a 12" saw, the depth of cut there is usually 200mm.

Last edited:
There are several threads on this forum discussing Axminster 1950B bandsaw. AW1950B is a rebadged version of AC1950B with one major difference - AC1950B had ceramic blade guides while AW1950B comes with ball bearing side and thrust bearings.

It is a good bandsaw but the height of cut is limited. Same as @TRITON I wish I'd bought a bigger saw.

I have a AW1905. I have sliced 150mm sleepers with it. Slow going but it did the job. I don't cut tree trunks or anything but it does anything I need it to. There is a wide variety of blades available as well.

I have a AW1905. I have sliced 150mm sleepers with it. Slow going but it did the job. I don't cut tree trunks or anything but it does anything I need it to. There is a wide variety of blades available as well.

How are you cutting 150mm on a saw with a 135mm max depth of cut ? Or is that a different saw ?

On my 10" RP i removed the entire upper blade guide assembly which increased the depth of cut from the original 125mm to a 167mm depth.
Nice sharp blade and you dont force the cut and its not presented any problems when ripping.

I'd some 155mm hard maple to rip in half, and as the tablesaw wasn't working, removing the guides was the only solution.

Back