Attic/Roof Questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
Hi all looking for any advice/thoughts. I’m renovating an attic room and would like to use the space to the sides of the dormer for storage. I’m unclear on if the original knee wall studs are a part of the structure or not.

What I’m thinking of doing is removing the two middle studs and then adding a doubled up 4x2 resting on two new 4x2 studs at either end. Creating an opening that still supports the two rafters.

The rafters are 165mm x 65mm, on 450mm centres, 5.5m long, the roof is 3.2m above the floor at the apex spanning about 8.8m from the front to back of the property, and the roof does not have a ridge beam. In case any of that is of interest/relevance.

Thanks

Fitz

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpeg
    IMG_5226.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5231.jpeg
    IMG_5231.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Hey Fitzroy, what is behind that access door. Do the two rafters bear down on the exterior wall floor.
Hard to see the structural work supporting the dormer wall.
But take a pic and assess what is going on.
Similar framing here in older homes, hopefully some one can offer an opinion also.
You may have to beef up the 2x ? supporting the dormer wall.

Last edited:
Hey Fitzroy, what is behind that access door. Do the two rafters bear down on the exterior wall floor.
Hard to see the structural work supporting the dormer wall.
But take a pic and assess what is going on.
Similar framing here in older homes, hopefully some one can offer an opinion also.
You may have to beef up the 2x ? supporting the dormer wall.
If you mean the little white door, it is just to access the eaves. The desire is to remove the studs on either side of this door, and obliviously the door itself, to create an opening that can be incorporated into the room envelope for a set of drawers.

Yes the two rafters bear down on the external wall, 450mm thick granite. Behind the main door to the room is a staircase, running down to the left in the photo, and the rafters are unsupported from ridge to external wall.

The dormer wall is a bloody mess, it sits on the sarking board over the rafters, the window frame is the structure of the window opening, and the outer edge of the dormer roof is supported by the window. That is a whole other issue to be 'solved' as I will be making a new window.

Fitz.

Back