Another table saw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmg

Reaction score
I am close to buying a table saw and the model I am looking at is the DeWalt 7485 however I am tempted by the DeWalt 7492. Here in the UK the 7492 is about £370 more and that seems an amazing amount of extra money for not an amazing different spec.
I can see the advantages of the 7492 but not £370 worth.
Am I missing something

just do a comparison

7492 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 7485

1722941743165.png
1722941825068.png

The main criteria is that it meets your requirements both now and what might be in the future, they are site saws so if you are workshop based then maybe both the wrong saws. In many cases larger is a more future proof option so think about what you are cutting and any angle cuts.

Interesting thread but not the answer I was looking for, I would like to know why the DeWalt 7492 costs 85% more than the DeWalt 7485 and what extra I would be getting for my money

What do you want to cut, and what for ?
Have you been through the tracksaw, mitre saw, bandsaw arguments to know that a table saw is the best answer ?
Have you noted that you should have the option of a sawstop model by the year end ?
Quite possibly at eye watering prices but at least you'd be getting a valuable safety feature for the extra cash....

I have a mitre saw and a track saw but there are limitations with both. I have cut narrow strips on a thin board on the track saw but it can be a bit scary. A job the table saw should cope with easily and safely.
I don’t require a large table saw but I do want quality and accuracy and that is where I thought the DeWalt 7485 would be suitable albeit a contract saw. I than looked at the DeWalt 7492 and I know is has some advantages but not 85% more.
I am open to suggestions for a small workshop saw with the same quality and accuracy as the DeWalt between £400 and £500.

and what extra I would be getting for my money
An extra 40mm blade diameter, an extra 12mm of cut at 90° and 10mm at 45° .

This is a dilema we face often when looking at machinery and the last resort is to actually go and look at them and get a feel for them.

There is also probably the law of diminishing returns, maybe the 7485 is a much better selling machine compared to the 7492 and as you push prices up you also open up other options to the customer so they now buy something else.

1722944912455.png

1722945046663.png
look at them together, nothing jumps out as an obvious difference and if cutting sections of sheet goods upto 25mm then the 7485 would do it. Maybe the difference that would be noticed is the power, the 7485 is 250 watts less input power and when I think that my table saw is 2200 watts input and can struggle when ripping 100mm sapele then it really comes back to what you expect to be cutting. Thin strips of what, these saws will not cut thin strips from a full sheet but a tracksaw can.

I have a mitre saw and a track saw but there are limitations with both. I have cut narrow strips on a thin board on the track saw but it can be a bit scary. A job the table saw should cope with easily and safely.
I don’t require a large table saw but I do want quality and accuracy and that is where I thought the DeWalt 7485 would be suitable albeit a contract saw. I than looked at the DeWalt 7492 and I know is has some advantages but not 85% more.
I am open to suggestions for a small workshop saw with the same quality and accuracy as the DeWalt between £400 and £500.
rutlands saw has a similar fence to the dewalt and is much cheaper, its basically a rebadged copy of the american skil, bear in mind these are contractor saws and accuracy and quality of cut is relative, depends what you are going to make really.i had a dewalt but noise and dust collection plus roughish cuts made me sell it and get a tablesaw, unfortunately my workshop is small, i went with an axminster 10 inch, but having had it for a while im not happy with it and will be swapping it for the new hammer k2m when its out next month.

The arbor on the 7485 will not take a dado cutting stack. Small point but if you intend to do a lot of panel grooving/rebating for, say, fitting out a house with fitted wardrobes, worth considering.

(I know there are other ways)

Back