AI, trolls and internet forums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selectortone

Still waking up not dead in the morning
Reaction score
Increasingly, I'm wondering just who I'm interacting with on a couple of forums I frequent.

Perhaps I just watch too much science fiction. But I'm starting to notice new names that pop up, post an innocuous question about finishing or whatever, presumably to establish their credentials, and then wade into controversial topics in the off-topic forum.

Are some of them Russian trolls? Are off-topic discussion forums being used to train AI programs? Am I paranoid? (Yes, probably a bit, but then they might really be out to get me...)

Increasingly, I'm wondering just who I'm interacting with on a couple of forums I frequent.

Perhaps I just watch too much science fiction. But I'm starting to notice new names that pop up, post an innocuous question about finishing or whatever, presumably to establish their credentials, and then wade into controversial topics in the off-topic forum.

Are some of them Russian trolls? Are off-topic discussion forums being used to train AI programs? Am I paranoid? (Yes, probably a bit, but then they might really be out to get me...)
Wouldn't disagree with all of what you've said.

Just because you think they're out to get you doesn't mean they aren't 🤣

I'm starting to notice new names that pop up, post an innocuous question about finishing or whatever, presumably to establish their credentials, and then wade into controversial topics in the off-topic forum.
A common practice when establishing a scam account is to post a question which has received a significant number of replies on a different forum. Often the original post will be copied completely, making it easy to pick up with a Google search. Having established “credibility” the scammer or troll can then move on to the real business. The method is frequently used to build a post/reply count which allows the scammer to post an advert. It also enables private messaging, from which we get “My friend Gary has exactly what you’re looking for. His email is [email protected]”.
Are some of them Russian trolls?
Yes, but not exclusively.
Are off-topic discussion forums being used to train AI programs?
Not just off-topic
Am I paranoid?
No

Some of the bigger Q/A forums introduced 'AI questions' in an effort to boost traffic (dumb as they were easily spotted at first, and drove many existing members away) and now you have the crazy situation of AI asking 'questions', with other AI 'answering them' (and usually getting it completely wrong in the process)

Whats the point of even going to one now lol

Between that and lackluster 'moderation' in some that allows spammers open reign, there's a few that may as well shut down entirely...

The thing about Russian trolls is that, if you check, they're usually concealing another Russian troll, and if you check that one, you'll usually find another Russian troll hiding inside, and if you do a bit more digging, guess what!

Back