Advice required for building a lean-to in a tight space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm currently planning on utilising a mostly disused garage as a home gym. There's not a lot in there aside from stuff to go in a skip and three appliances: a small fridge, dryer, and chest freezer. I don't want to keep those in there after I've revamped the space, but there's not exactly anywhere in the house for them to go, either.

I don't know how feasible it is, but I've had the idea to build a lean-to down the side passage of the house. As you can see from the image (and my need to take the picture from the bathroom window given the overgrown plants), it's a very tight space: I was planning on building it up to before the window begins. I've done the measurements and the appliances will fit there in all dimensions, so I'm mostly looking for advice for how to go about building this and any other considerations.

Firstly, there's the actual structure. I was thinking something similar to this albeit not quite as fancy: https://www.mbgardenbuildings.co.uk/lean-tos/

Then there's electricity. The wall backs onto the kitchen. Do you think there'd be any trouble/hazards getting an electrician to put a couple of outlets on the outside wall?

I can also only assume there are other considerations I haven't thought of, such as possibilities of damp and so on. I'm most concerned about what to do about the floor. Right now it's essentially just broken bits of concrete, so presumably, I'll have to do some sort of rendering before building the base of the wooden structure.

On a related note, do I have to worry about radon? I've checked on the ukradon map and our area is the lowest level, but apparently, it can seep through and collect in the subfloors sometimes. I wouldn't want to risk encapsulating radon by building an outdoor structure like this.

Any advice on any of these aspects would be much appreciated. Thanks!

side passage.jpeg

Is the property on the right hand side your neighbour?? If yes is there a boundary between your property and the neighbours? From your pic there’s a condense pipe outlet from the boiler running down that wall which he may need access to at some point in the future ..not an expert in building regs but assuming that’s next’s doors property then i assume an air gap would be required to prevent damp/ mould etc ,, you will of course need enough space for the physical size of the machines but space to also access and operate them and also the plumbing ,drainage and electrical outlets . I think the electrical requirements will probably be the easiest job but it depends on your current situation in terms of your existing load on your consumer box ..

It may be worth checking if your fridge and freezer will operate efficiently in unheated environments.
Most won't, we found when researching a freezer to go in the (former, now workshop) shed. Beko was the only make that was good value (gets good results in tests and doesn't cost an arm and a leg) and would operate in sub-zero environments. It's related to the cooling cycle used.

Latest posts

Back