Advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said earlier, all or part seem now to be made in China. The place of origin tell us little as that is the assembly site where little may be manufactured.

Roy.

Digit":2fesbxkh said:
http://www.techspex.com/techspex/manufacturers/info?company_id=8207

Roy.
I know Jet is a Swiss company, but is the stuff actually made their? I heard somewhere that it's a better than your average Taiwanese gear but I don't know if there's any truth in that - Rob

As you say, they are a Swiss company, but I believe they also manufacture in the States.
Either way I wish my shop was full of their stuff! :lol:

Roy.

is there really a problem with stuffing being made in china - okay some of it is poor quality , but then so is some stuff manufactured elsewhere.

chinese manufacturing has a bad name, justly earned about 20 years ago, but now days some of their engineering is as good as anywhere else in the world.

IMO the key is not to worry about where it is made but to buy a brand with a good reputation from a supplier with good customer service.

My experience, buying all sorts of different products, is that the Chinese are perfectly adequate engineers (and without a doubt they are the best reverse-engineers on the planet). But costs are saved and corners are cut - one example of which is that they never knowingly over-engineer anything (they will use materials that are *just* up to the task). Another area where corners are cut is in quality control - they're simply not as careful at checking that everything is right all of the time. And if anything requires time for drying, curing or the like, forget it. Whether it's furniture that shrinks because it's not been properly dried, or boardgames that are mouldy because they were assembled in damp conditions, or plastic components that are mis-shapen because they had been handled a minute or two before they had properly cooled, I'd say that Chinese-made stuff is often afflicted by these sort of issues. They're much better at high-tech stuff, where it either works or it doesn't. You make a good point about customer service, though.

Hi Patricia,

I'll throw in my 2 pennyworth

Regardless of the product, us UK wooodworkers are generally envious of our USA cousins as the stuff available to them tends to be better quality & cheaper than what can be obtained here in the UK.

I know that is a generalisation but does anyone disagree??

I know that is a generalisation but does anyone disagree??

In general that seems to be so, which is why I suggested to the poster that the American suppliers be examined.
One thing the Chinese appear to lack is a file!
Deburr? Not on your life!

Roy.

woodbloke":3urh58r1 said:
Digit":3urh58r1 said:

Roy.
I know Jet is a Swiss company, but is the stuff actually made their? I heard somewhere that it's a better than your average Taiwanese gear but I don't know if there's any truth in that - Rob

Did you not read the information in the link? Jet have always been importers.

big soft moose":3kiwl4pq said:
is there really a problem with stuffing being made in china .

Well I'm not sure about Stuffing but.....

Hands up all those old enough to remember when something badged 'Made in Japan' usually meant cheap, nasty, badly made junk?
Bit different now though innit? I expect China to go the same way in time.

If you go back further still, no I'm not that old, Germany had the same rep.
China is simply following the normal route of a country establishing a manufacturing base.

Roy.

wizer":16xf93s9 said:
woodbloke":16xf93s9 said:
Digit":16xf93s9 said:

Roy.

Did you not read the information in the link? Jet have always been importers.
I have now :oops: :oops: - Rob

Latest posts

Back